014

Nora entered Erin's house in the middle of a heated argument with Clare and James. 

"There is no way a giraffe could hurt a bear Nora, it's not biologically possible" Clare yelled at the girl 

"I'm not saying that the giraffe could kill a bear, I just also don't think a bear could kill a Giraffe" Nora held up her hands in defence 

"Why?"

 "It's too tall!" 

"Yeah but the bear still has access to its legs" James pointed out frustratedly. 

Before the three could continue their argument of which animal would kill the other in a fit, they froze seeing Mary eye the dark uniform the kids were wearing

-

James had been going really well with the whole friends thing. 

Since the road trip he took a step back and worked on being a good friend for Nora. It had been working and the boy almost felt as if the little crush he held for the girl had been nothing but a phase. 

Seeing her in just a shirt and underwear as she helped dry the dishes directly next to him was ruining all that progress.

As the boy tried to hide his blush (and the tightness of his boxer), Nora happily hummed a tune as she made sure each and every plate was 100% completely dry before placing it back. 

Her rhythm was interrupted when Mary spoke up. 

"Let me look at that." she spoke pointing to the plate the english boy held in his hand.

"You call that clean, do you?" 

"Different standards, you see, Mary." Sarah simply stated as she painted her nails "You're not in England now, son." 

"Orla washed it, though." James tried defending himself, not realising it would trigger the other girl. 

 "Oh, okay. I have had it with you, James. And your picking, picking, picking, and I won't take it anymore. Do you hear me?" 

"Is everything okay, Orla?" Nora spoke up from her cleaning station, concerned for her friend. 

"I warned you, Orla." Sarah told her daughter. "You're putting yourself under too much pressure."

 "I Can't fail, Mammy." Orla shook her head, a stressful look painting her features.

 "Since when have you been troubled by exams?" Erin asked her cousin. 

"Exams? What are you on about, Erin?" 

"What are you on about, Orla?" 

"Step." Orla finally let out. "I'm sorry?" Erin asked. 

"Step aerobics." Sarah interrupted. "Orla has got really into step aerobics. Her instructor says she's a natural. Says she's got what it takes to go all the way."

"In step aerobics?" Mary asked, catching Nora's attention. She was happy her friend had found a hobby, she was always trying to encourage her friends to join her in her activities, maybe step was something she should try out. 

"But it's out of control now, Mary. She's stepping morning, noon, and night. Apart from anything else, it's dangerous. She nearly came through the ceiling yesterday. She might be gifted, but I just want her to have a normal childhood." 

"I won't give it up. I can't." Orla insisted as if taking away step was taking away her life. 

"Listen to yourself, love."