019

Nora walked down the hallway as she made her way to the assembly called by sister Micheal. As she walked she heard a distant voice calling her name. 

She turned to see James bolting down the hallway, swerving though groups of students in order to meet the Kelly girl. 

"Watch it" one yelled out giving James the stink eye 

"Sorry" he mumbled out only to be met with the girl muttering "english prick" as she pushed past him. 

James turned to Nora giving the girl a sheepish grin 

"Well good morning James" the girl smiled at him and it seemed as if all his previous embarrassment disappeared as he soaked in her light. 

"You weren't on the bus this morning" the boy stated, relieved that the girl wasn't taking the day off like all their friends had suspected. 

Nora was in fact not on the bus that morning. When she woke up she was met by the sounds of pans in the kitchen and the smell of pancakes. Ever since the camp incident, Cillian had been putting in the effort to be there for his daughter. Yes at the moment it felt forced, he even had a schedule for specific times he would ask her about her day, but it was a start. The two shared breakfast and got so distracted Nora missed the bus. 

"Yeah, my dad gave me a lift" 

James gave her a soft but more genuine smile. He knew all about the girls relationship with her father, the two had spent time bonding over their lack of parents. "How's that going for you?" James asked softly. 

Nora sucked in a breath "It's weird, like very weird, but I think it's a good weird. I feel good, like better than I have in a while" she smiled up at the boy who wrapped an arm around her. 

"I'm so proud of you" he whispered as the two entered the hall. 

Their sweet moment was interrupted by Michelles loud voice 

"What the fuck is this?" she spoke gesturing to James' arm around Nora. Instantly the boy ripped his arm away, thinking of excuses to tell his cousin. 

"Oh thank god" Clare let out as she ran up to Nora "I thought i was gonna be stuck with them all day" She gestured to the rest of the group. 

"Wow thanks so much Clare" Erin spoke sarcastically rolling her eyes. 

"Oh come on Erin, you were upset about our girl missing too" Orla spoke as she poked her head over her shoulder. 

"You missed me?" Nora asked Erin, her eyes almost welling up with tears. Erin was a very passionate person but she wasn't alway the best at communicating her emotions to her friends.  So hearing the girl had openly spoke about missing her filled Nora with love. 

Erin rolled her eyes but held a small smile on her face "yeah whatever" 

And with that Nora engulfed her into a big hug. 

"Jesus you lot are so dramatic" Michelle joined the conversation with James who was rubbing his arm, Michelle had made sure to give him a good few punches for touching Nora. "I mean she literally just missed the bus" 

"Settle down, settle down" Sister Micheal talked into the microphone as the group groaned finding themselves a place to stand in the hall.

-

Nora watched in awe as her new english teacher wrote her name on the chalk board as the class sat in silence. "Ms. De Brún" the board read. 

Nora didn't know much about this teacher but she was the coolest person she had met in her life. Silently Jenny rose her hand, but when she was not called on she spoke out.