028

Nora sat on Orla's couch holding her crocodile toy (which she had named Daryl) letting out a sigh. The toy made her think of the boy who gave it to her. 

"I don't know maybe it's not meant to be" Nora shrugged sadly "we do work well as friends"

Ever since the kiss with James things had been good between the two: they joked, they laugh, they were closer than ever.... As friends. 

There seemed to be this unspoken rule that neither of them were allowed to bring up the kiss and it was driving Nora crazy. She couldn't keep pretending like there was nothing going on. 

After getting no response from Orla, Nora sat up turning behind her to see if the girl was still at her place at the kitchen table. Orla was - though she had a pained look on her face. 

"Hun are you ok?" Nora asked, concerned by her friends behaviour. 

"You're hurting my brain" Orla whined, seemingly in genuine pain "one second you hate the lad, then you love him, now you want to be friends"

Nora groaned laying back on the couch "I know it's hurting my brain too" she brought the toy up to her chest "he just won't say anything about the kiss". 

"You've got to make the first move with boys like that" Sarah spoke entering the room. Nora wasn't aware she had been listening to the conversation 

"Boys like what?" Nora asked, desperate for wisdom from the woman. 

"The ones's that aren't very bright" Sarah spoke causing Orla to nod "that fella has nothing going on in that head, you can see it in his eyes. Makes me think of Orla's da" 

"Make the first move" Nora spoke to herself a smile breaking out 

"I think I can do that"

-

"She can't do this. She simply cannot do this." 

Nora's plan to talk to James about the kiss was heavily interrupted by the devastating news the group had been told. Despite the literal president of the USA was coming to visit their little old town, Sister Micheal was not allowing them the day off. 

"Well, she's done it, Clare." Michelle spoke as Nora groaned placing her head in her hands.

 "But it's history! She's making us miss history!" Clare insisted. 

"Och, but I really wanted to find out what that Cromwell fella got up to next. I really enjoy him." Orla complained.

 "Not history class, Orla! Real history! History being made!" 

"And Irish people aren't allowed to enjoy Oliver Cromwell, Orla." Erin added, looking towards her cousin. 

"Why?"

"Because he was a fucking arsehole." Michelle pointed out. 

"Look, Bill doesn't even get here till four o'clock tomorrow." James spoke up, putting the conversion back on topic. 

"Bill? Who are you? His Ma?" Michelle scoffed causing the English boy to sigh 

"We've got plenty of time, is all I'm saying." 

"Do you know how packed that Guildhall Square is gonna be, James? You'd have to camp overnight just to get a glimpse of him." Clare pointed out. "

Aye Susan Dendrie said that her da was already setting up camp to get a good spot" The group turned to her in disbelief.