Chapter 2: I Remember

IF YOU'RE SENSITIVE TO SELF HARM AND/OR ALCOHOLISM, PLEASE DON'T BE OFFENDED BY THIS CHAPTER. READ AT YOU'RE OWN RISK

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

(Chapter 2)

*Caroline's P.O.V*

I heard a loud knock on the window, but I kept my head buried deep inside my legs, too lazy to see who it was.

"Caroline, are you okay!?" I heard Liam shout at the window.

I didn't answer I just wanted to be alone, I just wanted everyone to leave me alone, was that too much to ask? I heard the car door jiggle some more, then a tiny click, before I was attacked by cold air again. Of course, how could I have forgotten, Liam has a spare key to everything.

Suddenly I was embraced by big, warm, strong arms. Too weak from all my crying to resist, I collapsed into Liam's arms. Burning tears threatening to spill, but I held them in. That was, until Liam started humming an old song that used to cheer me up when I was a little girl. Sometimes I wish I still was, life was so much easier back then.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when clouds are grey..." Liam slowly hummed my favorite childhood song. He has always been an amazing singer, but he never cared enough to acknowledge it.

When I couldn't hold them back anymore, I let the tears stream down my face. I buried my face into Liam's shirt, sobbing, and hiccuping every once in a while. He smelt of cotton, with a hint of lavender, just like always.

"Shhhh, It's okay i'm here for you sis," Liam whispered. "I'll never, ever, let anybody hurt you." Liam said a little bit louder, but comforting, if that makes any sense.

We stayed that way for a while, just holding each other. When Liam finished humming the song, he gave me a quick peck on the cheek, and picked me up bridal style. I kept my head in his shirt as he carried me around the car and placed me in the passengers seat.

I could tell Liam was smirking as he buckled my seat belt for me, just like he did when I was a little baby. I kept my head down as he shut my door, and walked back around the car to the drivers seat.

~

We've been driving for what feels like an hour, which is weird cause we only live a few minutes away from the gym. When we finally came to a stop I was hesitant, but I really wanted to see where we were. When I looked up I almost started crying again.

Liam had taken us to our favorite ice cream shop from when we were little kids. I smiled a little remembering all the good times we had here.

"Is that a smile I see?" Liam teased, with a big smile on his face knowing he made the right decision coming here.

Without responding I walked into the ice cream parlour, Liam right at my heels. When we were finally in I looked around observing the place, it had changed a lot since the last time we came here. The normally pink floral walls were now painted, electric blue, with white snow flakes. Which I have to say, was a really good look. It made the parlour look like a winter wonderland.

I quickly made my way over to a booth, as Liam went to go get our ice creams. I slid in all the way, and looked out the window.

Unwillingly, my mind began drifting off to the past. Like how much Jake has hurt me, physically and mentally. He ruined my life. I don't know what I ever saw in him, he used to be so sweet, and romantic.

Those days are far from gone.

I've come to the conclusion that people don't change, they just get better at hiding it.