Chapter 9

I look up at the alter as one of my closest uncle, who was also my mother's older brother said his last few words.

"She was a wonder mother, sister and friend to all, we will all miss her greatly" he said trying to hold back his tears.

I watched as he made his way to the seat behind me were his wife and three kids were.

"Would anyone else like to say a few word" the priest added looking around the church.

I quietly got up to the alter with my head slightly down looking at the old dusty brown wooden floor.

I slowly made my way to be the priest was standing beside the pulpit. He moved a little to the left giving me a little bit of space.

I looked at him and silently nodded. I slowly moved my gaze to my family member and friends that were present. I could see the sadness and grieve on everyone's faces.

Some were looking up at me with un- shredded tears in their eyes, others found it hard to hold their tears back as they rolled down their face one tear after another.

The atmosphere was lifeless.

The only sounds that could be heard were the cries and coughs of the small group of people.

It was one the hardest times our family ever had to face.

It felt like only yesterday that we were burying my father, it felt like we were reliving that moment again, but this time it felt a lot worse because not only is my father dead but my mother also.

I have always thought that my mother would live long enough to at least hold my first child.

To teach me how to be a good mother to my children, as she was to us. I have always imagined her baking warm cookies for her grandchildren.

Telling them old stories like she did when my siblings and I were younger.

Looking at her now lying there in the casket her once creamy white radiant skin was now lifeless and dull.

She was wearing an old, white dress that her late husband once gave her before he passed away.

It was one of the things she held dearest to her heart.

Around her neck was a ruby necklace that was giving to her by her mother, which she gave to me, but it didn't feel right for me to have so I decided to put it around her neck.

It also had a matching bracelet which she was wearing on her right hand.

She was still wearing her wedding ring on her left hand.

After my father's death she refused to remove it.

She would always say that it reminded her of the love she once had.

Her outfit was complete with her favorite pair of black two-inch heels.

There were flowers beautifully decorated around her, making her look beautiful.

My eyes began to water again. I tried to hold myself together, but I found it very difficult.

I put my head down slightly shielding my face with my hands.

The priest took a small white cloth from his right pocket and handed it over to me.

I took it slowly saying a quiet "thank you"

I wiped my tears with it and began saying a few words.

"I'm so glad to see that you all took the time out of your busy lives to say your last goodbyes to Victoria who was a loving mother, wife of the late Patrick and a friend to all"

I looked around the church full of familiar faces.

"She has always looked at the bright side of things no matter the situation or problem...... she has always tried to find the best in people, no matter how horrible they were".

"It's hard to believe that she gone. It's hard to say goodbye to a person as amazing as my mother. It's her time to go..... at least she's in a better place and she can finally be reunited with the one she loves. Thank you for coming to honor my mother today. I know she would be so grateful".

I ended my speech and slowly made my way down the aisle.

A few people gave me a small smile which I returned with my own weak smile.

☆☆☆☆

I watched as the casket went down the opened ground slowly until it had finally hit the bottom.

I stood there almost still, with tears rolling down my eyes as I held my sister while she cried on my shoulders looking behind me as if afraid to see the coffin being buried 6ft down the ground.

I remember being in the exact same spot years back when we were burying my father.

I remember standing there as my mother held me in her left side and my sister in her other side.

I never imagined that a couple of years later I would be back here burying my mother beside my father's grave.

I know that everyone dies eventually but I wasn't expecting her to leave so soon. After my father's death my mother and I had built a special bond.

I can't help but think that maybe if I had known about her illness sooner, she would still be alive, she would still be here when Maddy and the boys graduate and choose a career for themselves.

But that is me being selfish because she at least deserves to finally be in a better place after the unfairness and the hardship she had in her lifetime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

( btw, I changed Cynthia's name to Ava just in case your wondering) I have finally posted after like a month. I really hope you guys like this chapter and don't be afriad to leave a comment and vote.