Ch 14: Time for a play

Lara

I watched Lily sort through the clothes as I sat on top of my bed with my hair half dry, half wavy, half straight.. The guests were supposed to be there in an hour, and Lily said that Petrovic sent her to get me ready for the night. I was supposed to be presentable. Why didn't that surprise me?

I threw my hair from one side to the other and exhaled sharply. How good would've been if I could stay in the shower the whole time.. I thought about so much in there while the warm water relaxed my muscles.. I could spent days in there. Petrovic really made sure that the room was completely filled with all the things I needed. Comfortable bed, large space, big bathroom, makeup for Lily to use on me, a closet filled with clothes that came in pieces every second day...

But that didn't make up for the damn nightmare my life was turning into.. No it didn't make up for every punishment he made me go through, for keeping me captive like a doll, and for ordering me around.. I had no choice but to go on with this plan. It was the only one I had really.

I played with my fingers before that simple thought came to my mind. Throughout the past week I spent in this house, I learned that Lily, being a helper around, and responsible for me in some aspects, was a pretty open minded girl. Vampire to be more correct. But I could use that in my advantage. She talked to me pretty much every day, so why wouldn't she want to help out? I was just trying to learn what my Lord liked, right?

If she would answer my simple questions, she could open up to me a little more too. "Do you know who's coming?" I asked, breaking the silence. She was sorting through the clothes that were brought that day, and was supposed to pick out an outfit for me. However, I didn't notice a spark of surprise in her eyes when she glanced at me. Like she had been expecting me to ask.

"The Lord's old friends." She stated, looking down and continuing to go through the pieces of material. "Including your teacher." I watched how she looked at me, a slight smile forming on her face as she rose her eyebrows.

It seemed to take me a few beats till I figured out her words. "Miss Acuna?" She nodded her head in response, and I figured that with her being the most talkable person in house, she could give me quite the information I needed. "She's Petrovic's friend?"

Taking a small pile of clothes towards the closed, I heard her respond. "For a long time, sweetie." What I admired about Lily was that she always seemed to be minding her own business, when she was maybe the only person that knew about every detail that was going on in the house.. She was quiet or bubbly in different situations, but always at the perfect timing.. She seemed like she didn't fear 'the Lord', even though she knew every second of his life.

I frowned, trying to figure out how she managed to keep up with so much at the same time. Watching how she walked out of the closet, I followed her moves, still urged to find out more if I could. "How long are you working for him?"

She glanced at me, and shook her head slightly. "Couldn't count the years.." It was funny she looked only a few years older than me, but she had history more than 10 humans together did.

"How old are you?" The second I asked, I realized I was becoming maybe to obvious with the questions, but she continued answering like it was the most normal thing in the world.

"It's not polite to ask people's age, Lara." She told me calmly, and maybe for the first time in quite the while I felt my cheeks heat up slightly. It was people like that that could effect me. Someone like Petrovic only made me angry. He made me hate him more than I already did.

I cleared my throat silently, leaning on the headboard of the bed. "Sorry," I heard myself mumble slightly, my eyes still following her actions around the room. I figured that no, Nathaniel was not going to tell me more than he already did. The thing was, it seemed like he wanted me to know that.. Why did he tell me? Didn't it occur to him that maybe, just maybe I was going to use that information in my advantage? So, now, who else was better to ask other than Lily?