Ch 36: Histories, mysteries.

Huge shoutout to my gals meimyselfforever & nigh7crea7ure for being an AMAZING support to this book so far! Here's to you babes!

•••

Xander

"A wolf?" I asked after a few seconds of being left completely silent, - astonished and speechless from this damn ridiculousness that came out from his mouth.. Was he even listening to his own words? Either he completely lost his mind, or he was playing some serious game that was definitely not going to end well. "Are you in all seriousness claiming that Lara is a wolf?"

I watched that ironic smile stretch his lips as he looked on the side. I had the serious need to punch it away, but a part of me wanted to hear what other nonsense had had to say.. "I didn't say that.. You did." God forgive me if I kill this idiot that I called my friend.

"Nathaniel, do not waste my damn time! If you found out something, get to the point. Do not make me rip your head off, because trust me, your annoyance in this moment is fuckįng unbearable." He knew my limits.

But did he know that I didn't need any pathetic attempts for jokes when it came to Lara? In that point of my life, I easily trusted that she was the one holding my life in her hands. There was no mistake what the simple thought of losing her did to me.. There was no drama when I confessed the connection I felt with her, especially after that night, and if losing her meant losing that connection, it easily meant my own ruin as well.

The fury in my voice caused seriousness back on his face. "Alright, I did talk to Brianna.. And let me tell you, it was a long conversation indeed. I even had to throw some pretty serious threats for her to help me try figuring this out.." I had my hands leaned against the meeting table, watching him sit across from me and confess the information I sent him to get.

  "Did you tell her who you're asking for?"

  "No." Good. Witches weren't always my best supporters.. I did kill many of their covens. He released a slight breath while I listened to his heartbeat, still making sure he was speaking the truth. "See, you already know that I had been the one that tracked some of Lara's life before I caught her.." The part that I didn't wish to know was for how long he had stalked her. "I researched some of her history to make sure that she was the perfect girl for this world.. We both know that the less boundaries the girl has with the human world, the better.." I hope you're getting somewhere with this, Nathaniel. I really hope you are.

"She doesn't have any family, and see that's what kind of girls we need in our system. The less people there are that would find a piece of their life missing, the more it could work."

"I know, Nathaniel, I invented that damn system." I interrupted him.. That was not what I wanted to know.. And it was definitely not what I sent him to talk to that witch for. "And Lara told me about her family.." My words seemed to trigger something inside him. He straighten up, clear curiosity filling his eyes.

"What? What did she tell you?"

  I hesitated for a second. I couldn't not trust him. There were things that we both knew about each other that no one else did. He was a moron sometimes and he did get on my nerves, but I was his sire. His life was in my hands since always, so I knew the chances of getting betrayed by him especially were very small. When I asked him to gather information that I needed, I only proved that we were in it together.

"She doesn't remember her parents. They were in a car accident when she was 5. She had a few injuries, consequences from the accident and one of them was her memory loss.." I explained more calmly, aware that he knew some parts of this story, and I knew others.. Figuring this out was my main goal, and I needed to gather my patience and tolerance towards him. "There was not a spark of lie in her voice when she explained to me how she grew up in a Foster home with people she didn't even know."