1

"Lucy, you can't possibly be serious," I laughed at my best friend after she told me what she did to that poor guy who tried to flirt with her on her way to work. She cursed the guy out, that's exactly what she did. I didn't blame her, guys think that pretty women are just put on earth for them to flirt with. Like, have some respect.

"Yes, I am!" She exclaimed putting her natural curls behind her ears. "Don't they see the ring?" She asked raising her finger in the air. What made this situation worse was that she is happily married. "Anyways," she said changing the conversation, "we should have a girls night today," she added.

I rolled my eyes, this girl will take any day to have a girls night. It was Monday night for christ sake. "I would love to, but I have dinner with my parents tonight," I said with a frown.

"But you live with them," she said. I rolled my eyes once more, I did live with them, but we didn't usually have dinner with each other every day.

"I know," I said, "come on, I have to get back to work," I got up from my chair leaving money there for both Lucy and I. We exited the small cafe, I gave her a hug and called myself a cab to get back to work. Lucy stood in front of the cafe as I entered the cab, we waved at each other until I was no longer able to see her. 

''''''

"So, what are you making mom?" I asked as I entered the kitchen. My mom turned around startled, I took one of the cookies she probably spent her time on baking making her frown. "Love you too, mom," I said sticking my tongue out.  I think I acted too childish for my age, but sometimes you just got to let the kid out.

"Help me set the table," she said. I nodded my head and got straight to work. I set the table perfectly how my mom taught me when I was younger. I looked at the food on the table, there was green beans, mashed potatoes, turkey, and of course macaroni. It felt like Thanksgiving, my stomach growled and I ran up the stairs to get my dad.

"Daddy, the food's ready," I said entering his office without knocking. He looked up at me worried written all over his face, he took out his reading glasses putting them on the table. "What's wrong?" I asked him, I've never seen him like this especially when you mention food.

"Nothing, let's go eat," he said faking a smile. I didn't question him, I simply followed him down the stairs. We both took our seats respectively, my mother then joined us. "Shall we say grace?" My father asked. My mom and I nodded our heads and my dad said the grace.

"Honey, we've been thinking," my mom said as we dug into our food. I looked at her giving her permission to continue. "Maybe it's time for you to start settling down," she said. Her and my dad both sighed. I smiled awkwardly, I should have been suspicious when they wanted to have a special dinner with me.

"You're right," I said giving in to what they've been saying for years now. I was getting old and maybe it was time for me to think about getting married and giving them some grandchildren although my sister already gave them two handsome boys.

"What?" They both asked surprised in unison.

"You guys are right, I'm thirty now, I should get married, move out and maybe start having kids," I told them. Saying my age out loud made me realize how old I am.

"Oh," my mom said still in shock. "Your father and I are in some trouble," my mom added.

"What kind of trouble?" I asked them. I put my fork down when I saw how serious they were being right now.

"Money," my dad replied.

"What can I do to help?" I asked, "I have some money saved away and I wouldn't mind helping out," I said. It was the least I could do considering they let me stay here for free.

"I don't think that would help," my mom said with a frown.

"I'll get a second job, I don't mind," I told them. I just didn't want them to worry about money. I worked as a financial adviser at a multi-million dollar company in the city and it allowed me a lot of free time. I could get a job at the local diner to help out.

It was really ironic, I studied how to handle money and I do it for a living, but my own parents were having money problems. What hurts most was that I didn't know about it sooner, I might have been able to help.

"Honey, if we were to give away all our paychecks without taking out any money, it would take twenty-five years to pay it all off," I gasped. What kind of money problems were they having? 

"Dad, what kind of trouble did you get yourself into?" I asked my dad. He looked down at the floor. My dad gambles for a living, I don't like it, but I ain't got nothing to complain about. His money put me in private schools all my life, got me into college, and it's the reason I've been able to live this life many might call perfect. I looked at them both and sighed. "What can I do though?" I asked them. "You guys shouldn't be worrying about money," I told them grabbing my mother's hand, she smiled.

"The person we owe the money to says there is one thing we can do to pay it off," my dad says saddened.

"What is it? As long as it's not murder, I'm sure we can do it," I said.

"The person is getting old and it's time for him to give his company away to his son," I nodded my head so he can continue. "The board doesn't believe his son is capable of running the company because he has no wife," my father added.

"And?" I asked still not knowing what we can do to pay off the debt.

"In order for the board to allow him to run the company he has to be married," my mom said this time.

"So, we have to find a wife for his son?" I asked still unsure of this whole thing.

"No, I know it's a lot to ask for honey," my mom said holding my hand tighter, "but how would you feel about getting married?" She asked in a whisper.

I closed my eyes making sure I was hearing everything right. My mom nodded her head to confirm what she just said, "you guys can't possibly expect me to get married to a stranger?" I asked.

"It'll only be for two years," my dad told me.

I put my hand on my forehead, I laughed. Out of all the things I could do, I laughed. I didn't know how else to react, my parents were asking me to marry a complete stranger.

I looked over at their faces, they were full of hope. I did say I would do anything to help, but I didn't mean this. It was only two years I whispered to myself. "Okay," I answered them. They were my parents and I would go to hell and back for them. Marrying a complete stranger was nothing, two years was nothing if it meant a life full of happiness for them.

"Okay?" They asked. I nodded my head but soon realized what I just did. I was going to get married.

"Um... who's the guy?" I asked them.

"Kevin Reynolds," my dad answered and I could've sworn I passed out.

AN

Please tell me what you think...

Would you marry a stranger to help your parents?

Au Revoir...