49

Mommy, I did my math homework all by myself," my dauther told me as I attempted to cook dinner. I was never much of a cook. She sat on one of the stools, a smile planted on her face that she completed all the math problems by herself. I smiled also proud of her, math was hard for many kids her age, but I was glad to see that she was good at it.

"Good job," I told her. She held the paper in front of my face, I looked through some of the multiplication to see if they were correct. Most of them were so I didn't bother checking the others. "You get extra dessert," I told her touching her nose. She smiled even bigger, her small dimples showing. "And we are having velvet cake for dessert, your favorite," I added. 

"I'm gonna go clean for dinner," she said leaving running up the stairs. She knew if she didn't clean she wouldn't get a chance to start dinner. I shook my head and went back to making dinner. I heard the front door open, I smiled, my husband was home. 

"Hey sweetheart," he whispered in my ear kissing my cheek gently, I smiled. I knew many people who said they grew tired of their spouses after being married for so long, I was married to this one for almost ten years now and I still wasn't tired of him. "Where's Esmeralda?" He asked.

"She went to get cleaned up for dinner," I told him. He nodded his head and picked up her homework she had left on the counter. He looked through it and smiled. "Why don't you go shower for dinner," I suggested. He nodded his head and pecked my lips leaving for the stairs.

After everyone was cleaned up and dinner was ready, we sat and said grace and dug into the spaghetti and meatball. "Dad, you should have seen their faces. I know all my multiplication tables," she said with a smile. "I got an excellent plus a smiley face sticker, it was..."

The sound of people walking and talking woke me up. I opened my eyes, the bright lights caused me to quickly close my eyes. I turned around on my side and opened my eyes. I spotted my mom sitting by my side. "Mom?" I asked confused about what was going on. She turned around surprise and a smile planted on my face. 

"Honey, you're up," she said, she touched my hand gently, "let me go get a doctor," she then left the room. I sat up and took in my surroundings, I was in a hospital, it took me a while to remember what happened. I got into an accident, my mom walked back in the room, a man who I suppose was the doctor followed her inside. 

"Mom, where's Kevin?" I asked her when I didn't see him. "I was with him and we-"

"Honey slow down," she said, "let's just make sure you're okay."

"Hi, I'm Dr. Robinson," the man said, "let me just make sure you're okay. Follow the light," he put a small flashlight in front of my eyes, he then checked my face, he looked at my arm. I was bruised in it, "who's the current president?" He asked me.

"Donald Trump," I replied. I looked at him confused about why he asked, was I asleep for long or something? 

"What year are we in?" He asked me.

"2018," I replied. 

"Okay, good," he told me. "What elementary school did you go to?" He asked me. 

It took me a while to remember, I went to like two elementary schools. "Um... Hunter College Elementary and Dwight," I finished.

"Is that correct?" He asked my mom. My mom nodded her head, "does your head hurt?"

"Just a little," I replied honestly.

"We'll give you something for the pain," he told me writing things down. "Okay, then Ms. Brown, I think you are all right. You just suffered a small concussion, we'll keep you overnight for observations, but you'll be okay to go home tomorrow," he told me with a smile. 

"Thank you," I told him. He nodded his head and left the room. "What day is it?" I asked my mom. 

"Oh, Thursday," she said. I sighed, I wasn't out for long. "You've just been out for about twelve hours," she told me. I felt relief that I didn't go to some sort of coma or something. 

"Kevin?" I asked her. "Cna I see him?" I asked her. I got up from the bed and took my IV to roll it with me. My mom nodded her head and motioned for me to follow her. My body felt so sore, I didn't realize I had hit that bad. I followed my mom down the bus hallway until she stopped in front of one of the rooms. I saw Kevin's fauther standing outside talking on the telephone. "Hi Mr. Reynolds," I gretted him when he hung up the phone.

"Hi sweetheart," he told me with a smile, "glad to see you are doing okay. How are you feeling?" He asked me.

"Fine, I guess," I said. I have never gotten into a car accident before. I didn't know what was the acceptable feeling or pain. "Is it okay if I go see Kevin?" I asked him pointing at the door. 

"Yes, go head," he told me. My mom told me to go one without her. I smiled and opened the door, I heard Mr. Reynolds and my mother start a conversation. I closed the door quietly behind me. Kevin laid on the bed, I looked over at his body. I felt so bad, I should have never called him while he was driving. He seemed lost in his mind and I startled him. I shook my head, I was just hoping he was going to pull out of this. I took a seat on the chair beside his bed.

"Hi," I said even though he couldn't hear me, "it's Brianna," I said my name. I didn't even think it mattered, "we went to high school together and we were married for a short while, big mistake, but anyways, I read somewhere that it's good to talk to the unconscious." I paused when no one replied. "I'm sorry I distracted you while you were driving, I could have waited to tell you what I wanted to say. Now that you are in a hospital because of it, I see how stupid it was of me." I stopped and looked around. 

"I don't know if it matters, but I just wanted to say I love you too," just then I heard him start coughing and laughing. He sat up on the bed and couldn't hold his laughter. 

"You know I was just sleeping, right?" He asked still laughing at the situation. I frowned, glad to see he was okay and he could laugh about it.

"It's not funny," I said with a frown. My heart almost stopped seeing him like that. I didn't know if I could live with myself knowing he was in a state I could not change and it would have been partly my fault. 

"Kind of is," when he saw that my facial expression didn't change, he stopped laughing. "Anyways, how are you feeling?" He asked me. 

"I'm fine," I said between my teeth. 

"Come on sweetheart, you can't really be mad at me about this," he said. He placed his hand on my cheek, I flinched because of the coldness of his hand. He removed it when he noticed my reaction. I looked at him and gave him a smile to tell him I wasn't mad. 

I looked around until I noticed his foot, it was in a cast. "What happened to your feet?" I asked him.

"My foot was stuck in front of the car, it's nothing," he said looking at it and moving it to show me. It's just my ankle," he put his foot down and turned his attention back to me. 

"I'm sorry," I told him again. "I shouldn't have distracted you."

"Bri, it wasn't your fault," he told me. "Besides you can distract me anytime to tell me those three words."

AN

Ever had someone you care about in the hospital?

Au Revoir...