6

My alarm woke me up, I groaned knowing I had to get up. I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to take care of my hygiene needs. After what seems like an eternity in the bathroom I came out and put my undergarments on. I do my hair and applied some light make up, after I put on a black pencil skirt and a navy blue blouse. I put a pair of black heels on.

Satisfied with the way I looked, I grabbed my bag and everything I needed to make my way to work. When I opened my door, the smell of breakfast hit my nostrils. My stomach growled, I was really hungry and that food smelled really good. On top of that, Kevin made it. He was always a good cook, in fact, he cooked for me on our first official date. I smiled at the thought of that, I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water.

I had to make a note to myself to go grocery shopping and get things worth eating to put in the fridge. Kevin's back was turned to me as he stirred what looked like scrambled eggs on the stove. He was already dressed for work in a dark grey suit. I stood there for a while admiring his body until I realized I had to get going. I opened the fridge to get the water causing Kevin to turn around. He eyed me up and down, "where are you going?" He asked. I rolled my eyes, no good morning? He asked me that like I was some kind of child he needed to keep on a leash or something. 

"Work," I simply answered him. There was something dearly wrong with this kid. 

"Breakfast?" He asked. I looked at him and he stood there impatiently waiting for me to give him an answer. I didn't know what to say, food was food, but he couldn't stop sending me mixed signals. Oh, what am I saying? The other night he called me his, then he brought a white bitch to the house who disrespected me. Then, yesterday he had the audacity to tell our story. The story of how we met which brought up a lot of things I wanted to keep buried inside.

I decided to nod my head, he motioned for me to take a seat and I did so. He turned around and gave me a plate. I moaned only looking at the food, it was eggs, bacon, and pancakes. Kevin looked at me and chuckled. I stared at him admiring how his voice sounded, it was deep and in a way it caused my whole body to shake. Kevin fixed himself a plate also and took a seat across from me on the island. 

"You know you don't have to work, right?" He asked after a long silence. His dad did say that, he said I could get everything I wanted, but I enjoyed working for some odd reason. I didn't want to stay in this house forever and think of my poor choices in life. Work was going to give me something to do and take my mind off of everything that is going on.

"I want to work," I replied to him. He nodded his head and went back to his food. I watched as he moved his mouth slowly eating the food. I didn't know if he felt my eyes on him, but he looked up his eyebrow raised. He grabbed his phone checking his face in case there was something on it. When he saw that his face was fine he gave me a questioning look at why I was staring at him. I shook my head and went back to eating my food.

"Where do you work?" He asked me probably to try some small talk.

"I'm a financial advisor at C&J," I answered him. He looked at his eyebrows furrowed together, "what?" I asked him.

"You can't work there," he answered, "they are our competition," he added.

"So?" I asked. I didn't care that the two companies were rivals. Why does it matter anyway? I loved working at C&J, they pay great and they have great benefits.

"Do you know how bad this will look?" He asked me. I simply shrugged my shoulders not caring one bit. He got up and put his plate in the sink. Being done too I also get up. I set my plate in the sink, Kevin walked to the fridge grabbing his shake. "Why don't you come work for me?" He asked me. "I need a financial advisor," he added.

"No, I don't want to," I answered him. Did he know how bad that'll look? A wife working for her husband. 

"Then you can't work at all," he said. 

"What?!" I yelled not knowing what he was talking about. I didn't think I heard him properly.

"You heard me," he said as if he didn't just tell me I couldn't work at the job I loved. 

"You are a very funny man, Kevin, I wonder why you didn't go into comedy," I said taking a sip of my water. 

"I'm not playing," he said. "Let's get something straight," he said approaching me. He came so close that there were only a few inches left between us. I wanted to run, but I was stuck since my body was now leaning against the countertop. "You need this, not me," he said pointing his index finger at me.

"So, if I'm thinking straight I'm doing you a favor. Don't forget why you are here Brianna, get your parent's out of debt," a tear threatened to fall down my cheeks, but I held strong not wanting him to see how he affected me. "If I say jump, your only question should be how high? I say quit your job, you quit, okay?" He asked.

I didn't answer him, "because you have to remember I have bitches lined up who would jump for an opportunity like this," I looked at the man I once loved and couldn't believe him. What happened to that sweet boy? I looked at his eyes, but it was no longer him anymore, he changed. "Bri, I'm sorry you are in this position," he said raising his hands up in surrender, "not my fault your dad has a problem," and that's when he crossed the line. I was fine with him insulting me, but he knew better than this. He knew how I felt about people talking bad about my parents especially my dad. 

Before I knew it, my hand had met his face. I slapped him and I felt relieved until I realized the side of his lips were bleeding. I looked down at my hand, I had my rings on and that's what hurt him. He touched his cheek, I couldn't read his expression. "Kev, I-I," I tried to apologize. I quickly got out of the corner and grabbed a towel, I wet it, I made him sit on one of the stools and I wiped the blood away from his lips gently. "I'm sorry," I told him.

I then searched in my bag for a bandage, I put it on his lips. "Thank you," he said. "But, I'm serious Brianna. Reynolds or no job," he said. I watched him leave the kitchen going up the stairs. A few minutes after, he came down with his briefcase, he gave me one look and out the door, he went. I stood there not knowing what to do, should I really go work for him?

AN

Would you get in a fight with someone for insulting your parents?

Au Revoir...