16

The sun beaming through my windows woke me up. I sat up looking around the room, I groaned when I felt the pain in my head. I touched my forehead, I looked at my nightstand and saw a cup full of water with a bottle of Tylenol. Kevin must have put it there, I grabbed two pills from the bottle throwing them into my mouth and gulping down the whole cup of water since my throat was feeling really dry.

I shouldn't have drunk last night, I barely remembered what happened last night. Everything just feels so blurry, I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to take care of my hygiene needs. After about twenty minutes, I finally get out of the bathroom and walk into my closet putting some clothes on. 

When I opened my room, the smell of breakfast hit my nostrils. My stomach growled, I rushed to the kitchen. Kevin was standing at the stove, his back towards me humming a tune. "Good morning," I told him grabbing his attention. 

He turned around slowly, "morning," he said back. He looked at me for a while as if he was surprised by me or something. "Hope you still like bacon," he said. I nodded my head, I took a seat on one of the stools.

"What happened last night?" I asked him. He raised his eyebrow, nodding his head slightly.

"Nothing really," he said. "we ate and drank way to much wine," he joked. I chuckled and fidgetted my fingers. I couldn't help but feel like there was a hole in my memory. I usually didn't remember a thing when I drink, but I usually didn't care. But, this was different. I couldn't help, but feel like there was something important I had to remember. "You okay?" Kevin asked me. 

"Yeah," I lied not wanting to get too much into this. I'm probably just being paranoid. "It was good to catch up with Lucy, wasn't it?" I asked him. "It has been twelve years."

"I've seen Lucy around," Kevin said. 

"You have?" I asked him surprise. He nodded his head, he turned back around to the stove again. He grabbed two plates from the cabinet, he placed one in front of me and one in front of where he would be sitting. He put four pieces of bacon on each, some eggs, and toast. He took a seat across from me again. "Wait," I said. He looked up to me, "where have you seen Lucy?" I asked him. Lucy never mentioned to me that he has seen Kevin of any sort. 

"Around, the company she works at is actually friends with my company. So, when I go over there I've seen her," he said. He went back to eating his food as if what he said wasn't that big of a deal. 

"Is that the only you've seen her?" I asked him.

He looked up again, "are you going to eat or interrogate?" He asked me. I looked down at the food and took a bite of a piece of bacon. "No, we live in the same city Bri, I've run into her a time or two."

"We live in the same city and the last time I saw you was graduation day," I said. And I only saw him that day because he had to walk across the stage to get his diploma. 

"It's a big city," he said. I shook my head, if it was such a big city, why did he run into Lucy so much? "Why does it matter to you anyway?" He asked.

"Lucy never mentioned running into you," I said. "I don't know, I just feel like its something crucial I should have known."

"She probably didn't tell you because she knew you would react the same way you are right now," he said. He took a bite of his toast.

"And how am I reacting?" I asked him.

"Jealous," he answers. "Are you jealous that I ran into Lucy?" He asked, "or is it because you didn't get to see me at all?" He asked one after the other.

"You're not that special, Kevin," I said. Of course, I felt a little jealous. Lucy's ran into him multiple times and she didn't even tell me. I was dating him, I should've run into him. 

"If you say so," he said. He went back to eating his food. We went into a few minutes of silence as we both ate our food. The sound of his stool moving made me look up, I looked at his plate and he was done. I watched as he set the plate in the sink and turned the water on slowly as he washed the plate. I stopped eating not feeling really hungry anymore. 

"Kev," I called him. He took a paper towel and wiped his hand as he turned around to me. "What  else happened last night?" I asked him again. I hated not remembering things and I hated feeling like I should remember them or something.

"I told you already, nothing happened," he said again. He threw the paper towel in the trash and stood beside me. I looked up to me since I was sitting down. "You know you don't remember things when you drink, Bri," he said. He brought his two hands to my cheek touching them. I flinched a little at how cold his hands were. "Look, I promise we just had dinner and talked about old times. If there's anything special that happened that you should know, I will tell you," he said. "You trust me, don't you?" He asked me. 

I stared at him asking myself the same question, did I trust him? I trusted him once upon a time, I remember there was a time, I would walk blindfolded behind him but I didn't know him anymore. He changed, I didn't know how, but I knew he wasn't the same person I once knew. Of course, he was entitled to change, he grew up, he became a man. However, there was something sketchy about him I couldn't quite wrap my head around. 

I nodded my head answering his question, "okay, then. I'm not lying, nothing happened," he reassured me. I nodded my head again trying to forget about it. He rubbed his thumb on my cheek gently. The familiar touch brought back old memories.

"I swear I'm gonna kill you, Kevin; you said you were going to be here an hour ago," I said standing in the dark parking lot. I looked around it getting scared, it was nine at night and I was afraid what someone would do to me if they found me out there alone. I could get raped or worse murdered. 

"I'm sorry," he said over the phone. I'm around the corner," he said. I hung up the phone, I swear if I had another way home I would just leave. Kevin's car broke down and he wouldn't get it fixed until the weekend. I gave my car to him for the day since I had nowhere to go except I had a debate competition in the city. My mom dropped me off and Kevin promised he would pick me up and he still wasn't here. 

I heard a car honk, I turned around seeing my car. I walked to it and entered the passenger side. "Baby, I'm so sorry," he said. I just got caught up in something and didn't realize that it was time," he said. 

"Just take me home," I said. I crossed my hands over my chest ignoring him. "I want my car tomorrow," I added after a while. I didn't want him to use it anymore if he couldn't even pick me up when I asked him to. 

I closed my eyes waiting for us to move, but we didn't move. I opened my eyes, Kevin was staring at me. "Bri," he said. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you in a dark parking lot," he said. 

"Yeah, what were you doing?" I asked him getting a little curious why he didn't see the time. Football practice ended since five. 

"Um..." he said. He held the steering wheel a little harder. His knuckled started turning red.

"Take me home," I said again. This time he starts the car and gets out of the creepy parking lot.

This wasn't the memories I wanted to get from his touch, but these are the ones I got. The negative ones, I seemed to only be focusing on the hurt, the bad not the good things he did. I grabbed his hands slowly and removed them from my face. I got off the stool, "I'm sorry, but I don't trust you, Kevin." 

AN

What happened last night?

Au Revoir...