28

"I'm sorry for your loss," someone else I didn't know told me. I stared at the men, I was one minute away from cursing him out. I could hear my mother in my head telling me to be nice, I smiled and he returned it leaving my presence shortly after.

I looked around the house, my mother decided to have a little reception after the funeral. The house was packed with faces I didn't even recognize. My mom said some of them are from Vegas but I could swear some of them came for the food.

My sister was sitting on the sofa surrounded by people asking her all type of questions about her career. I couldn't believe she was telling people about her job at our father's get together. I spotted Kevin standing by the door, he was at the church also. I hadn't seen him since last week since I'd been sleeping at the house. His face was all healed up now, he looked up at me and slightly nodded his head.

He didn't have to say anything, we kept our eyes on each other. He then put his head down, he looked one more time and gave me a smile to die for. He walked and left from where he was standing, I stared at the place his body was once standing at. "Hi," her sweet voice said from behind me already making me know who it was. I turned around and gave her a smile.

"You really didn't have to come," I told Alexis. "You should be home and resting your body," I added. After she got home, she didn't even want to take a break to give her body a chance to heal. She said that she doesn't like being in bed and feeling useless. It's funny that the person I used to call the white bitch was now a person I considered a friend. 

The more time I spent with her, the more I realized how crazy, funny, and genuine she is. "And miss out on this wine?" She asked raising her glass up. I laughed, she chuckled and took a sip of the drink. Kevin then walked up, standing behind her.

He grabbed the wine from her and sipped all of it, "shouldn't you be in bed?" He asked her. She groaned punching Kevin's arm. 

"Kevin, I was drinking that," she said. 

"I know," he answered. "I think you've drunk enough wine," he added. Kevin put the glass on the plate of one of the caterer's who was passing by. I can't believe my mother got caterers. She wanted everything to be perfect. Perfect would have been just family and friends mourning him not a bunch of people he barely knew. 

"No one asked for your opinion," Alexis snapped back at him. 

"You didn't have to," he said. Alexis groaned and stomped her feet, she then left our presence probably to find another glass of wine. "She's gonna drink herself to death," Kevin said after a while watching her leave. I looked at his face, he was worried. Why did he even care? Why did he have to be a good guy and feel like he had to take care of everyone around him? I just wish he was just a mean, bad boy, jerk or something. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard to forget about him, maybe it wouldn't be so hard not to love him. "Um..." Kevin said returning his attention to me.

"I have something for you, would you mind passing by the house tomorrow?" He asked. 

"You're trying to rape or murder me?" I asked him chuckling. He could've asked to meet him at work, but why the house. The next house was thousands of feet away, that meant I could be screaming and no one would be able to hear me. 

"I prefer when my woman beg for it instead of forcing it unto them. If I wanted to kill you, you would've already been dead," he said all that with a straight face. I looked at him shocked, "I'll see you at the house tomorrow," he added.

I looked at my side and saw Lucy walking up to us with her husband, Jamal, holding her hand. I rolled my eyes, I haven't talked to her since I found out the truth. I hadn't seen her either, it's she put on twenty pounds with her stomach. When she reached me she gave me a smile. I didn't return it, Who invited her here? I can't believe she even had the audacity to show up. "Brianna, I-" she started.

"I really don't want to hear it," I told her. 

"Can we just talk?" She asked. 

"Oh," I said. "Lucy wants to talk, maybe I should just drop everything to talk to her," I said sarcastically. "Do you really think this is a good time?" I asked, "you want to talk when I'm just trying to bury my father?"

"I just-"

"No, Lucy, I don't fucking want to talk you to. You are a horrible person, I don't want to talk you, I don't even want to hear you breathe," I said. "For years, you watched me cry myself to sleep, hate myself, and you knew what happened. You chose your little friend over me who was supposed to be your best friend." 

"Kevin, I expected it from him. He's always been a manwhore and I was stupid to think that he ever loved me and was going to be loyal, but you," I said pointing at her. I turned and looked at Kevin, he put his head down probably from what I said. I knew he hated when people called him a manwhore, however, it was the truth. "You were supposed to be my best friend, you were supposed to stand up for me, pick my side."

"Who invited you?" I asked her having enough of her, her jaw dropped looking at me not knowing what to say. "I know I didn't," I said. I crossed my hands over my chest, "get out!" I yelled.

"Brianna, can you just calm down?" She asked. 

"No," I answered her, "get out before I drag your ass out the door myself," I said pointing towards the door. She huffed and let go of her husband's hand. She then left slamming the door.

"I know she wronged you, but she really didn't deserve that," Jamal said following her. I finally looked around and everyone was staring at me. I put my head down awkwardly feeling embarrassed. Jamal was right, she really didn't deserve that. We were friends for a long time, but I think I might have let my anger about my dad on her also. 

She really did pick the wrong day and time to try to talk to me. Kevin was still standing beside me, I looked him in the eye, he looked hurt. I should've been the hurt one not the other way around. He slightly nodded his head as if he was disappointed in me and left. I watched as he walked out the door. 

I looked around once more, I left the room and went to the kitchen. There was no one in here. I took a glass from the cabinet and poured myself some vodka. I took a seat on the stool and took a sip of it. I heard footsteps coming into the kitchen but I ignored them not feeling like speaking to anyone right now. The footsteps come closer to me," hey," the voice said. 

I shook my head, I already knew who it was. How could I not? I once considered him a friend, family even. Of course, he showed up here, my father loved him. He was a family friend, his mother and my mother used to have tea on Saturdays together. That's when we used to be forced to hang out together. By the time we were eight, we started enjoying each other's company and were happy to see each other every Saturday. We went to the same school for thirteen years. We talked to each other every day until middle school.

Middle school separated us and I guess we both started to fit in our own group of people. "I'm sorry," he added. I took the drink and poured it all down my throat. I turned around and looked at him. He was in a black suit, his dark hair was gelled down. He furrowed his big beautiful eyebrows wondering why I was staring at him.  I looked at his big brown eyes, I wondered how someone so beautiful on the outside could be so evil on the inside.

"For what exactly?" I asked him, "messing around with my boyfriend in high school or my father dying?"

AN

What do you think Kevin has for Brianna?

Au Revoir...