Chapter 7

( Y / N ) : Oh, it's okay, really Lionel. We can reschedule.

L i o n e l : Thanks (Y/N), you're the best :D

"What's wrong (Y/N)?" Cherry asked, glancing over your shoulder. You let her peek at your texts with your classmate, Lionel.

"Oh, nothing, it's just the project that Lionel and I have partnered up on." Cherry stiffened and you knew why. You usually partnered up with Phoebe, you still weren't on speaking terms.

"He's been bailing, but I don't really mind. I can get this done myself." You said while slipping your phone back into your pocket. Cherry sighed and followed you to your locker.

"(Y/N), I really think you should work this thing out with Phoebe. She was just trying to help."

You sighed, "I know she was, but it's humiliating for me, that she had to pay my bills. Best friends don't do that, I can't rely on her for things like this."

"Then just tell her how you feel. It's Phoebe, she'd understand."

You nodded, "After school, okay?" She smiled widely at your answer, "Great!"

As you were walking to English, your phone buzzed and you pulled it out, reading the message and groaning.

Cherry noticed your frown and asked solicitously, "Anything wrong?"

You just shook your head, "Just got a message from the orphanage head, saying that someone wants to have an interview with me."

Cherry grinned excitedly, not understanding why you said this so glumly, "That's great news (Y/N)! Why are you so upset?"

You breathed a sigh through your nose, "It's because it's a waste of time. People are never looking to adopt older kids, the younger one's are always given a preference. I don't even know why I'm still being interviewed, just a waste of time if you ask me."

Cherry frowned, rubbing your hand affectionately, "Aw, maybe this will be your lucky chance."

"I've lost hope for that a long time ago, Cherry, but thanks." Giving her a quick hug and went to class, hoping the teacher hadn't begun to start attendance.

The school day had ended with you dreading the interview and you had even tried to get into a car accident to get out of it but then remembered that you wouldn't be able to pay your hospital bills so you ended up running like a mad person across t...

The school day had ended with you dreading the interview and you had even tried to get into a car accident to get out of it but then remembered that you wouldn't be able to pay your hospital bills so you ended up running like a mad person across the street, hearing the speeding car honking.

Too soon for your liking, you had reached the orphanage, grimacing at the enthusiastic face of the owner, it seemed like she was excited to get rid of you. Which she wasn't, but it seemed like it. You didn't hesitate to call her out on it either but she simply waved it off and dusted off your clothes while tucking stray locks of hair with bobby pins and pushing you into the interview room.

How you hated this room, for some reason it smelt like cabbages. 

Seeing the person already sitting there, you cleared your throat and walked inside, "Sorry for making you wait."

The man sitting in front of you had got to be in his mid-twenties which had you more that surprised, "Aren't you a little young to adopt a child?"

He chuckled at your disapproving face and nodded, "Yeah, but I was looking for some company, I feel like something is missing from my life and it might be you."

"I'm nearly seventeen dude, don't you think you should be looking for someone a little younger? People might assume things."

"Yes, but I'm currently attending medical school so there won't be time to actually parent." He explained and you raised a brow, "You realize you're here to adopt a child right?"

"Yes, but I was kinda looking for a sister more that a daughter, because I really need the company."

"Living away from your parents?" You asked and he shook his head, "No, actually, my family passed in a car accident and I'm the only one left, so I feel very lonely."

You felt disgusted and empathetic at the same time, "No offense, but maybe you should get a puppy instead."

He laughed, running a hand through his brown hair, "You're funny, uhm, what's your name?"

"(Y/N)." You introduced, "Adam, nice to meet you."

"This is not what I was expecting to be honest." He admitted, flushing adorably and you spared him a small smile.

"Maybe take some time to completely sink in the idea of what you want to do, Adam. A child or sister is a lot of work and financial investment, think clearly about it." You advised.

"And I'm getting advise about raising children from an almost seventeen year old."

You giggled, "You seem like you haven't really thought about it, maybe actually see if you have the money and space to fit a child into your life."

He nodded, embarrassed, "I understand, but I'm involved in a foreign exchange program so maybe I could get to know you better while I'm here?"

You cringed, "That sounds too much like a date. A word of advice, brother's are supposed to be mean to their sisters."

He rolled his eyes, "Alright, how's this? 'Even though, I know you're not worth my time, I wanna know how  weird you are so I know to what extent I have to avoid you.' Good?" 

You laughed, "Wonderful, dude. Anyway, anytime you wanna find out how weird I am, just stop by, weirdo."

"I will, sis." "We're still not there yet." "Right, okay, sorry." "You dork."

"How do you know anything about brother's anyway?"

"Actually my best friend's brother is a little shit so I'm practically stereotyping all brothers based on him."

"I don't know whether I should thank him, or lecture him for acting this bad."

"He doesn't deserve a thank you. He's a jerk."

"Then you've definitely stereotyped all guys accurately."