Chapter 40

"So you can teach me to control my powers?" You asked the serpant that was curled around your leg, your waist and perched comfortably on your head. 

Even though you could feel it curled around your body, you couldn't feel it's weight on your body, almost as if it's part of your body. You had gotten over the absurdity of talking to a snake made of water a while ago.

It dipped it's head to meet your eyes, "I can teach you everything your mother knew and more."

Your eyes widened, "You knew my mother?"

"I've known every wielder of water from the first and I will know every single one til the last."

"That's a pretty long-winded explanation of 'yes'." You replied, pursing your lips, leaning back against the bed and letting it slither down your shoulders into your lap.

"Your mother was one of the best."

Your brows furrowed, "But she stole the powers, they never belonged to her. She never deserved them."

The snake slithered around you, "Matters between humans are hardly my concern."

It's body began to evaporate, from the tip of the tail and it's body went up in steam. Slowly, it swirled in your bedroom before condenseing and reforming on your table.

You shook your head, trying to convince it, "But she took them from someone! Someone who could have equally done good."

"Young wielder, I think it's time someone gave you the cold, hard truth. It doesn't matter what your mother did back when she was alive, because she sin't now. Changing anyone's opinion will not change the fact that she died one of the greatesr heroes the world has ever known."

It was like a splash of cold water.

Your mother was dead. There wasn't much you could do to change that. Anything she did doesn't change anything today. 

Defeated, you sat back down, looking at your hands that were curled in your lap, "I just. I loved her for so long," You admitted, not meeting the eyes of the serpant that was inching itself closer to you, "I let myself wish for her every night. Let myself miss her. But she was a bad person."

"What she did doesn't change the fact that she was your mother and she loved you very much."

You raised your teary eyes to the snake, "Really?"

"From the moment you were born, she absolutely adored you. More than anything she had or wanted. You are her pride."

One by one, tears began falling on your cheeks and you couldn't stop the sob that came out of your throat, "Really?"

"If she were here, there is no doubt in my mind that she would make you know that you are everything to her."

It was a bitter-sweet moment. The things that you always imagined, your mother loving you more than life itself, being proud to have you as a daughter, those moments that you dreamed of, were actually true.

Your throat was closing up and becoming increasingly dry and painful, "But she's not here. I wish she was. But she's not. And I'm all alone."

You pulled your knees to your chest, burying your head between your knees and crying. You would give up anything to be with her. Anything.

You would give anything to feel her arms wrap around you, so you could just know what it felt like to be held by a mother. Anything.

But nothing you could give would bring her back. Knowing that and still missing her and wishing she was there was even more painful.

"Yes, I can only imagine how alone you feel."

You felt it curl around your body, cooly enveloping your body and resting itself on your head. It was frankly one of the weirdest hugs you have ever recieved, it was actually the most comforting.

You felt a connection to the snake, like it was like you. Another part of you. Like your soul was complete.

"Mind becoming something a little more huggable?" You asked, raising your head. Immediately, it reformed into a penguin in your lap and you didn't waste any time before snatching it up in your arms and burying your face into it.

You heard the water splash beneath your face, but nothing got wet and you felt yourself calming down.

"Now that you have me, young (Y/N), you won't ever have to feel the pain of being completely alone again."

You felt your eyes water underneath your lids, and wrapped your arms tighter around it.

"Thank you.."