Chapter 8

Standing in front of Phoebe's house was not nerve-wracking, like you thought it would be. Instead, you just wondered why Phoebe hadn't come to you first, but you were willing to take a blow to your pride if it meant you'd be able to freely talk with your best friend again.

Slowly, your hand reached for the doorbell. Ding-Dong.

"Come in, (Y/N)!" Your brows furrowed as you opened the door. Phoebe was standing in the kitchen, hands full of cupcakes. 'I forgot she was helping with the bake sale.' Cherry was holding another bake sale to raise money for the narwhals after the first bake sale wasn't successful due to Phoebe's major sugar rush.

"How'd you know it was me?"

Phoebe froze, setting down the bowl and looking at you with wide eyes, "Um, Cherry said you were going to come over."

You nodded and her and sat behind the counter, watching her whisk what you could assume to be cupcake batter. You leaned over and dipped a finger in, licking the batter and shooting her a thumbs up.

"So," You started, noticing how tense she was, "Do you want to forget about whatever happened?"

Your best friend visibly relaxed, "Ugh, yes!" She walked around the counter to give you a hug.

"If it's any consolation, Phoebe, I really am grateful for all the things you've done for me." She nodded and just tightened her grip on you, as did you.

"Ugh, barf! I couldn't think of anything grosser." The sweet moment was obviously ruined by her brother.

You turned to him with a pointed glare, "What do you want?"

He raised his brows, reaching over to dip a finger and quickly licked off the batter, "Last time I checked, this was my kitchen."

Rolling your eyes, you once again sat behind the counter, in Max's seat, since you knew it'd annoy him. He rolled his eyes at your childish behaviour and sat beside you, flicking your forehead.

"Ouch! That hurt." You grumbled, running your forehead.

"Kinda the point." He grinned smugly, and you cringed.

You both reached for the batter when Phoebe swatted both your hands away, "No double dipping."

You pouted, and Phoebe quickly handed you a spoon with a small amount of batter with a sweet smile, the one a mother would give to her upset child right before she cheered her up.

You grinned childishly, playfully licking the spoon when your phone buzzed. It was a text from Adam.

Adam: Do you want to meet at the mall in about 30 minutes, I have a break between classes.

The corners of your mouth turned up, ever since meeting Adam, he had been calling you out and you had been spending time together, like siblings would. It got you thinking that you might just take him up on the offer for adoption, if he rethinks it.

(Y/N): Sure, I'll grace you with my presence.

Adam: Sweet.

"Who's Adam?"

All signs of a smile vanished from your face as you met eyes with Max who was shamelessly reading your messages over your shoulder.

"Adam?" Even Phoebe was intrigued. You shook you head, practically hearing the gears turn in her head, she was going through all the guys you've interacted with before. When she couldn't come up with any result, she turned to you with a questioning look.

"Oh, just a friend." You gave her a teasing smile when she glared at you. Even though Adam wasn't anything like that to you, you were going to enjoy Phoebe thinking he was.