Chapter 25

"(Y/N), can I come in?"

You took a quick glance around the room, moving the box from the door and straightening your sheets.

"Um, yeah sure. Come in."

Max pushed open the door, eyes widening when he saw your room practically empty.

"Wow, there's no going back, is there?"

You gave him a small smile, wiping your hand of the imaginary dust, "Yeah, I guess."

"Can we talk?" He asked, plunging his hands in his pockets.

"Um, yeah sure, something wrong?"

"Look, (Y/N), I just wanted to know where we stand." Max said, wringing his hands and sitting on your bed.

You sat down next to him, "Where we stand?" "Yeah, our relationship, what's in it for us after you move away."

You sighed, rubbing your palms on your thighs, "Well, that's for you to decide."

"For me to decide?" He raised a brow, frowning.

You nodded, letting his grab your hand, "Yeah, it's up to you. If you want to continue, we will but if you want to break up, that's for you to decide as well."

"So, whatever decision I make, you're not going to say anything?"

You patted his hand, raising it to your lips and pressing a quick kiss to it, "Yeah, it's completely up to you."

He pulled his hand from your grip and stood up, getting slightly agitated, "So, even if I said that I wanted to break up, you wouldn't argue, at all?"

You bit your lip, "Max, I don't think you—"

"You don't want to fight for this relationship?"

"It's not like that, I just—"

"You want this to just be my decision? You don't think it should be something for the both of us to decide?"

"Max, I don't think you get it. I said that because I don't want to make you feel guilty if you think that the distance won't work out."

"Okay, that's what you're saying, but what I'm hearing is that you don't want to fight for this relationship."

"Fight for this relationship? I only have to fight if we're breaking up. I just— what are you trying to say? Are you trying to break up with me?"

"No! I just, if I were, would you not say anything?"

"Were you actually thinking of breaking up with me? Is that why you're so angry?"

"No! I'm just angry because you don't even want to fight for our relationship!"

"Because I thought that your first response would be to stay together. I can't believe you actually thought about breaking up! That thought actually came to your mind."

"Well, how could it not?!"

"H-How, how, how could it not?! Did you seriously just ask me that?"

You sighed, letting the flame burn out in you, "Okay, what are we even fighting about?"

"I don't know either."

"Tell me honestly Max, do you think we should break up?"

He sighed, stepping away from you, "I don't know, I just, I don't think this long-distance thing will work out. It's difficult, I just I don't know if—"

"You want to break up, don't you?" You asked, biting your lip.

"I don't want to, but I think, I think it would be for the best."

"Really? You think, it would be for the best? Us not being together? Is that supposed to be good?"

"No, but this whole thing has shown me that, I can't stand the distance," He says pulling you into his arms, "I can't stand that I won't be able to hold you."

He cupped your cheeks, "I can't stand that I won't be able to look into your eyes, like this."

You shook your head, whimpering, "Max, don't— "

 "It hurts that it's going to be the last time I do this," He brushed your hair from your face and your eyes welled up, "And this," He intertwined your digits, "And this."

He pressed his lips to you and your body shook. The kiss was wet and salty and it wasn't long before you realized that you were crying.

He pulled away and let out a shaky breath, "I've got to go."

You didn't let him pull his hand from yours, "Max, I—"

He gave you a watery stare, "You said you wouldn't argue."

You felt his fingers slip out from between yours and you heard the door shut.

You choked sob left your mouth, "Good talk."

I cried while writing this

I cried while writing this. So hard.