Chapter 53

When Phoebe opened the front door to reveal you she was absolutely beaming, "So? How did it go?" She squealed, letting you in.

You shrugged, "How did what go?"

"Oh, don't play dumb, how did the talk with Max go?" She playfully nudged you, rolling her eyes.

"It didn't. We haven't talked yet." You told her, sitting down on the couch.

"You kissed him in the middle of the entire school and didn't talk to him about it?" She asked, astonished.

"I forgot." You smiled sheepishly.

"You—You forgot?! How do you forget something like this?"

"Not the point, the point is I came here to talk to your brother." You told her, standing from your place on the couch.

"Well, he isn't home yet but you might as well go wait in his room, it can be a surprise!" She giggled, pushing you towards the slide.

"You seem to be more excited about this than me." You teased, pressing the button to open the hatch of the slide. It slid open with ease and you smiled at the familiarity of it all.

"It's only because you're not excited enough." She scolded, "Now get in there!"

"Okay, okay!" You said, as she pushed you in the slide. You reached his bed and was half expecting him to be asleep in his bed like the last time but was instead met with cold sheets instead. You instantly cuddled up to the pile of pillows on his bed, loving the feeling of the soft sheets against your skin.

You sweetly reminisced the time that the two of you spent all night talking in this bed, holding each other underneath the covers. You swore to him that you'd never fall asleep because of the buzzing of the various machines in his room, but those very sounds were the ones lulling you to sleep as you held a pillow that smelt like him in your arms.

The world around you faded into black.

When you woke up, you didn't know what time it was but you figured it was pretty late, judging from the darkness from his window. Slightly disgusted that you drooled on his pillow, you swiftly used your powers to clean it before slugging off the bed, missing the comfort.

You slowly made your way to the living room, squinting at the bright light. You quickly spotted Phoebe sitting on the couch, "Why didn't you wake me up?"

She shrugged so innocently that you might have believed her if it wasn't for the wide smirk platered on her face, "I forgot."

Rolling your eyes, you turned to the glass of water on the table, "Where's Max?"

"Waiting for you back at your dorm."

Your heart fluttered and you could barely feel the guilt of making him wait for hours in your room. You quickly ran to the door, "See ya later, Pheebs!"

Your heart hammered in your chest with every step you took but it made you run faster towards the orphanage, the thought of Max's beaming face making you pump your legs faster

When you got back to your dorm, you were panting and your mouth was alarmingly dry, considering you had the power to control water.

But as soon as you opened the door to see Max waiting inside your room, your burning muscles, pounding heart and spinning head meant nothing. None of the worldly and humane things meant anything when you saw him.

It was like you were seeing him for the first time, your stomach was filled with something sweet and your eyes were being relieved of any strain just by looking at him. You could tell he was nervous too, from the way him shoulders were shaking with every pant from his mouth.

You didn't need words, to hear how he felt about you. You knew it from his actions, from his habits, from his glances. You knew all of it.

But you also knew that he needed to hear it from you. Just once.

So you took a deep breath, looking him in the eyes with a tender gleam, feeling red blossoming on your cheeks. 

"I love you."

He released the breath he had been holding, closing the distance between the two of you in large steps before pressing you against your door and kissing you.

You gasped lightly, grabbing his arms to steady yourself before reaching up and burying them into his hair, kissing him hard when his arms wrapped around you.

He gently tilted your head, pressing open-mouth kisses to your lips and letting one hand cup your cheek. It was gentle and soft and was making you light-headed but at the same time it was passionate and powerful and had your knees buckling.

His tongue was gently tracing the contours of your mouth when he guided you away from the door, haphazardly backing you towards your bed as your knees bumped into each other on the way there, but that didn't matter to either of you.

When the backs of your knees slammed against your bed, you fell with a gasp, pulling away from his lips for a second before he climbed over you, steadying himself with two hands beside your head as he kissed you again.

You sighed happily, when you felt him grin against your lips, wrapping your arms around his waist and pulling him closer.

You knew that eventually you'd have to pull away from his addicting mouth for air but for now, none of those worldly or humane things mattered.

Nothing mattered.

Except him.

"Phoebe, it's time for dinner, where's Max?"

"Uh....."