Chapter 24

You picked at the gauze covering your arms as you walked to Phoebe's house. Adam freaked out when he saw the grazes on your arm and didn't hesitate in covering them in a few layers of gauze to prevent you from scratching any more.

You sighed and pulled your sleeves down to hide the bandages right before you rang the doorbell.

Phoebe answered the door with a sullen expression, "H-Hey, thanks for coming over."

You nodded and stepped into the house, noticing that she didn't change the super family picture. You sat down on the couch, pulling a pillow into your lap.

"Are you really leaving, (Y/N)?"

You smiled sadly at her, nodding, "Yeah, I'm sorry I couldn't tell you sooner. It was all kind of in the spur of the moment, but it's for the best."

She sighed, nodding at your answer, "But, but, before you leave I have to tell you something."

Phoebe got considerably more nervous. She began fidgeting with her bracelet and chewing her bottom lip mercilessly. You raised your brow at her darting eyes and suddenly sweaty palms.

"Phoebe? Everything okay?"

"Um, yeah, uh, actually no, not really."

"What's up?"

"It's just that, this whole thing, it's my fault."

You raised a brow, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, this entire thing, you getting the pin, getting powers, this whole thing is my fault."

"Phoebe, what are you saying?"

She didn't answer, instead, pulling out a mask and putting it on her face. You stared with wide eyes and a gaping mouth as she grew shorter, her back hunched painfully, her hair grayed and her face was covered in ridges and lines.

You took several steps backward, nearly tripping over your feet as you tried to get away from her, "It's you."

You blinked, realization hitting you, "Phoebe, you sold me the pin?!"

 "(Y/N), I'm sorry!"

"Why, why, why did you do that?!"

She pulled off the mask and sat on the couch, patting the space next to her. You reluctantly padded over to the spot next to her, setting yourself down a foot away from her. She frowned, but didn't argue.

"I found articles about your mom and you in the attic a few months ago, I figured that you had the superhero gene, so I took my dad's mask and sold you the pin."

"Why?"

"I thought, that the maenite would activate your powers, but it gave you powers instead. I'm sorry."

You sighed, running a hand through your hair, "I just, I can't believe you did that. Why would you do that?"

"I'm sorry, I just thought that sharing this with you would be so great."

You stood up and she immediately followed you, "(Y/N), please! I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

"I just can't." You murmured heading for the door, "I can't right now."

Just when you thought things couldn't get worse, Max climbed up the staircase, "What's all the noise —"

He paused and took a quick view of the living room, the transfiguration mask strewn on the couch, Phoebe nearly crying and you with bandages on your arms and teary eyes.

"(Y/N)?"

You bit your lip, a tear escaping your eye, "I gotta go."

With red eyes and a leaky nose, you entered your room, seeing Adam sitting on your bed

With red eyes and a leaky nose, you entered your room, seeing Adam sitting on your bed. You burst into tears and went to hug him, "I'm so glad you're here."

He immediately enveloped you, holding your shaking form to his chest, "(Y/N), are you sure you actually want to move away?"

You tightened your arms around him, "I'm not so sure anymore."

He sighed, rubbing your back, "I think this would be good for you, you know, you've never traveled before, likely never will, but maybe you'd be able to experience new things if you leave now."

"What about all my friends?" You squeaked.

"Well, you'll make new friends, sweetie." "Yeah, I know, but I don't want to leave my friends here."

"I know, but if you don't want to do this, you don't have to."

You sighed, "No, no, I want to."

He hummed, rubbing your arms as well, "Okay, let's get you packed."

"Okay, let's pack."