Maurice

Maurice x reader fluff

*Many years ago*

You hummed as you walked through the circus tents, a bucket of ape chow in one hand and a book in the other. You were only 5 at the time but you loved the circus. The clowns, the balloons, the cotton candy, the games. But the one thing you loved the most.

Maurice. The huge orangutan was a circus act done by your father. He wasn't treated well unfortunately so you made it a point to keep him happy healthy and safe. As you entered the tiny brown tent that held the large orangutan, you smiled.

"Hiya little big guy!" you say as you skip towards his cage.

Even at the young age of 5 he was already a large ape and he knew you by face and voice already. He jumped as he saw you walk inside.

"Hi (y/n)!" he signs sloppily.

He loved having you around to tell him stories and feed him extra food when the circus hands forget to. He was always happy to show you his new signs as well he was learning.

"I got another one for ya!" you say holding up the book and plopping down on a rickety wooden stool and began to read.

As he munched on the food from the bucket, listening intently to every word, he smiled at you. His life wasn't that great but it was good and you made it better with your presence alone. He began to love you for all that you were and all you had done for him. And for a while life was good.

That is until the mishap with a clown happened. Maurice had been poked so much that his sides were raw and when that clown began to poke him for another show, he lost his mind. He broke the clown's hand and was taken away, much to your dismay. You were never told where he was and each night you would wonder where he was and if he was being treated well. You never forgot his lovable face.

*Many years later*

You sighed as you sat down on a log, rubbing your tired neck and shoulders. After traveling for so long you had grown tired quickly. Being 30 years old it wasn't hard to get tired. Especially after the outbreak of the simian flu. You were one of the few who survived. Ever since then you had traveled the country trying to find a new home for yourself.

As you stood to start walking again, you heard a roar of an animal and the rumbling of hooves. You looked around a large trunk and gasped, diving under the fallen log just as dozens of elk came bursting through the trees and running away. You sat under the log a moment before sighing in relief and crawling out, dusting yourself off.

"That was too close." you say to yourself.

Then you froze. Hooting and gibbering was heard behind you. You winced and slowly turned, seeing dozens of apes staring down at you with spears and arrows in their hands.

"Ah hell..." you grumble as they began to rush towards you, circling and poking at you. You quickly held your arms up and they tied your hands with a rope and began to drag you away.

You tripped and toppled over roots and stones as you were taken to their home. Once through the gate entrance the apes were met with their females and children. You were ushered to the center of the colony where a large flat rock sat in the middle of the area. An older ape walked up onto the platform and looked down at you.

"What human doing here?" the apes broken words asked surprising you.

"I didn't mean to intrude in your home. I was passing through looking for other humans." you say truthfully.

Maurice, who had stopped his session with the children, froze at the sound of the familiar feminine voice from the crowd. It had grown deeper with age but he couldn't miss the voice. He stood, his full height allowing him to see the human through the crowd of apes. His eyes widened ad he saw you and smiled wide. It WAS you!

He hooted at Ceaser, causing the king to look to his old friend. He gibbered as he signed to the ape.

'She is friend to me. Let me speak to her.' Maurice signs.

Ceaser nodded slowly and signed to the gorillas, telling them to move you to the flat area where the children once sat. They parted when Maurice waved them away and sat back down when you approached. The gorillas motioned you to a seat and you sat. You were confused a moment but then when you saw the orangutan, you gasped.

"M-maurice?" you stutter in awe.

The ape smiled and nodded and you couldnt help but jump up, surprising maurice ad your arms wrapped around his neck. He stiffened for only a moment before wrapping his own large arms around you, hugging you back as he inhaled the scent of your hair and sighed.

"I never thought I'd see you again!" you whimper as tears begin to fall down your cheeks.

Maurice rumbled as he pulled you away a bit, wiping your cheek with a large calloused finger and smiled at you. He cupped your cheeks and put his forehead to yours resting them there a moment before pulling away and signing to you.

'You will never lose me again.' he signs.

You laugh through your tears as you hug him again. Maurice hugged you in return and looked past your head to see Ceaser and the colony staring. He signed something to the king before he slowly smiled and nodded, signalling the rest to move on. The human was here to stay and it couldn't have made either of you happier.