Chapter 51

Drisana was seated with her mother. Maharani Mangalya showed her some jewelleries that was made specially for her. Jewelleries were quite heavy in this time period and it took a lot of time for her to get used to wearing them.

"Mata, I was thinking of going to the temple near the mountain area." Drisana said cautiously. Maharani Mangalya frowned hearing her.

"Why putri? The mountain area isn't safe. Why do you want to go there? That too in such a time? Your marriage rituals are going to start soon. You shouldn't go outside the Palace." Maharani Mangalya tried to make her understand.

"I know Mata. But I vowed that when my and Nakul's marriage get fixed, I'll visit that temple and do special prayer." Drisana said pleading. Maharani Mangalya shook her head sighing. She knew Drisana wouldn't listen.

"Fine. But come back soon and take Daiwik with you." She ordered.

"No. I'll take Bhrata Dridhaksh and Nakul will also accompany me. He is also needed for the prayer you know." Drisana said smiling in fake shyness. But she was fooling no one. Her mother saw right through her.

"Really? Just come back in one piece and don't you dare to do any bungling. And stop taking Rajkumar Nakul's name. He is going to be your husband." Maharani Mangalya gave her the warning and a scolding.

"Why? Why can't I take his name? I don't understand this logic behind not taking husband's name. Husbands take their wife's name always. Then why can't wife? I will call him by his name only." Drisana said frowning.

"Have you ever heard your Pitashree calling me by my name?" Maharani Mangalya asked her daughter. Drisana shook her head negatively.

"Have you heard your brothers calling their wives by their name?" Maharani Mangalya asked again. Drisana thought about it. Dwijendra called Anandini, Anandah (happiness), Dheemant addressed his wives as Jurwa ratan or Him (cool) and Poonam (full moon), Dhritimat called Shubhaprada as Shubhabrata (auspicious vow) and she had never heard Devajyot taking Priyala's name. She had only heard them taking their wives name when they introduced them to someone new, but that too with their designation attached with the name.

"No. But they call them with adornments." Drisana found it cute and adorable. But now she was thinking if there was something deeper in it. Arjun called Draupadi, Panchali (belonging from Panchal) and Yudhisthir addressed Devika as Davika (belonging near the river Devika). Was it just a coincidence that all the men never took their wives actual names? Not even in front of elders?

"Exactly. And they do it because not taking spouses name is a spiritual thing. Name is strongly associated with ego and reflects the social ego of the individual due to its repetitious social use, driving it deep into the unconscious mind of the individual. Hence, even under hypnosis, the person addressed by name will respond while others will continue their state undisturbed.

For intimate relationships, role based addressing is used to encourage an accommodating non-egotistical relationship between partners since ego is considered the basis of conflict and ignorance in relationships. This subtle change disassociates the individual from his social ego, and enable them to focus on their role in the relationship.

Also Husband and Wife are a single entity. That's why wife is also called Ardhangini (other half of the body of the husband). Hence they don't call each other's with name. Name is to be used by others unless its required." Maharani Mangalya explained.

"But mother I've heard some men calling their wives by name. But women never do that. I thought it was because wives consider their husbands god?" Drisana asked confusingly.

"Yes. Some men do that. And there's many reason. Mostly it is only told to women that they shouldn't take their husbands name. Men are not taught the same. And some men marry many times and don't care to pursue the spiritual goals while women follow the tradition blindly and assume it's only because of the age difference.