Chapter 64

Days passed quickly with everyone preparing for the wedding. No one had even a moment to spare, running here and there to make everything perfect. Duryodhan got an earful from Shakuni. He was fuming inside but concentrated on trying to please Balaram instead. He tried to talk to Karna a few times, but in midst of everything he was also busy in helping with marriage preparations. Subhadra didn't get a chance to corner him either.

Shishupal was unable to forget his insult. In front of everyone, he had to apologise to a woman folding his hands. Drisana had hit where it hurt the most. In this time period, a warrior, a king was not afraid of getting his head chopped, but would rather prefer it than bowing his head. Words were far more dangerous. A physical blow could be forgotten and forgiven, but a blow to the ego and pride would never be overlooked.

Drisana had done exactly what she promised. Stripped him naked of his haughtiness and false pride. A King getting shut up standing in a court full of women and the rulers of Aryavart; and apologising was far more humiliating than getting a beating in the battle area. She understood it after slapping Duryodhan the first time. It was not the slap that angered and hurt him most, it was the humiliation he faced for that slap which hit him hard.

Shakuni tried to calm Shishupal, but he made an attempt to choke him in anger and abused him and Duryodhan. He left Dravida right after and no one took any effort to stop him. Daiwik was only relieved. Duryodhan was angry too as the plan had failed and Drisana dared to slap him again. But Shakuni told him to keep quiet and concentrate on the work they came to do.

The day before the marriage came too soon. There was a function of women, some rituals were going to be followed with applying of henna on the bride.

"I heard there is going to be delicious foods served on the function." Bheem said looking dreamy.

"Kuch toh sharam kijiye bhrata Bheem. Aab khane ke liye aap aurto ke prasang mein jana cahte hai? (Have some shame bhrata Bheem. Now for food, you want to go to ladies function?" Sahdev said.

"Shut up idiot. Who wants to go there? I was just saying." Bheem said in annoyance. He didn't want to go there, but wanted to get his hands on the foods.

"Yes. That's good. Don't even consider such a thing bhrata Bheem. Dravida ke aurte bohot khatarnak hain. Sar se leke pao tak mehendi mein lapet dengi. Phir lal bandar banke ghumna parega Nakul ke vivha mein. (The women of Dravida are really dangerous. They'll cover you in henna from head to toe. Then you'll have to roam as a red monkey in wedding.)" Arjun said teasing him. Bheem looked at him wide eyed.

"Nehi nehi bhrata Arjun. Bhrata Bheem ko mehendi lagane ki himmat koyi nehi karega. (No no, bhrata Arjun. No one will dare to apply henna on bhrata Bheem.)" Sahdev said. Bheem got some courage hearing him.

"Bhrata Bheem ko lagane gaye to sari mehendi samapt ho jayega na. Phir Drisana ko kya lagayenge? (If they put henna on bhrata Bheem, all henna will be finished in that only. Then what will they put on Drisana?)" Sahdev said again. Bheem looked at him in anger and started chasing him.

Here, while chasing Sahdev, Bheem got the brilliant idea of raiding the kitchen. So he went towards the kitchen and saw none other than that ill-mannered dasi going somewhere with a plate full of laddos.

Valandhara felt her anklet getting tangled with her paridhana (lower garment) and put the plate of laddos on a side table to fix it. When she straightened the plate or laddos were nowhere to be seen. She looked around and saw Bheem going with the plate of laddos somewhere. Valandhara ran behind him.

"Wait. Where are you taking the laddos? Don't you feel shame stealing?" Valandhara said blocking his path and narrowing her eyes.

"No. These are mine now. And what's shameful in eating laddos?" Bheem said while eating one. Valandhara's mouth gapped open. She specially made those for the function.