~ Part 15~ | The Interview

~*~*~*~
** If You're Out There (John Legend)**
~*~*~*~

"No more broken promises
No more call to war
Unless it's love and peace that we're really fighting for
We can destroy hunger
We can conquer hate
Put down the arms and raise your voice
We're joining hands today

Oh I was looking for a song to sing
I searched for a leader
But the leader was me
We were looking for the world to change
We can be heroes"

~John Legend

This chapter is dedicated to voidinthewater  . Thank you for the sweet PM! I'm glad you like my story! :)

(comment or PM if you'd like a shoutout!)

******

Jay's hands wouldn't stop shaking. Stop. He told them. But they wouldn't listen. Of course, they wouldn't. Hands don't respond to telepathic messages. To make things worse Kai disappeared somewhere. Nya was trying hard not to appear stressed but the strained smile and twitching right eye were clues enough to her mental state at the moment.

"Er..." Jay stuffed his hand in his pocket and rooted around. He had hoped to find a mint or maybe some random mechanical parts for her to busy herself with but he came up with a half-chewed stick of gum. Jay hastily shoved it back in. "Do you want to take a walk outside for some fresh air?"

Nya shook her head. "I'm okay, Jay. But thank you." She gave him a sweet smile. "It's almost time for the interview and I need to be here."

Jay felt happiness swell in him. Nya was willing to stay with him through this whole thing. Having someone willingly give up their own time to support him gave him an odd feeling inside. One that made his head dizzy and his tongue feel numb. Jay tried not to appear too giddy as he swung his feet around under his chair but the goofy grin probably gave it away.

"Why does Jay have that stupid look on his face?"

Nya jumped up at her brother's voice, looking half-relieved and half-annoyed. "Kai! Where were you?"

"Just getting Lloyd," Kai replied smoothly, an arm casually over the boy's shoulder as he led him to a chair. "He wasn't interested in watching Zane and Pixal make goo-goo eyes at each other so I went to get him."

Nya gave her brother a funny look. Both Jay and her were thinking the same thing: since when did Kai want to go out of his way for Lloyd?

After a beat of silence Jay couldn't help but blurt out, "Did Cole bribe you or something?"

Kai squinted at him. "No! Why would he do that?"

"Is it blackmail?"

"No."

"Death threats?"

"No."

"...hair threats?"

Kai rolled his eyes up to the ceiling and mumbled something the sounded eerily like a prayer.