~ Part 1 ~ | Paper Monsters

~ Part 1~ | Paper Monsters

~*~*~*~
** It's a Hard Knock Life (Annie) **
~*~*~*~

"No one cares for you a smidge when you're in an orphanage, it's a hard knock life."
~ Annie

*Hello this is the author speaking , though I used this as quote this is incorrect I just wanted to point that out. Some orphanages are good environments with people that truly care for the orphans**

*******

  "FUDGE NUGGETS!"

   Kai looked up from where he had been banished to the corner of the car repair shop. Out of two of them, Nya was the smarter one, in life and in academics. So, it was only fitting that after awhile of dropping tools on his feet and bouncing around yelling, "What do I do? What do I do?" Kai got placed in the corner with nothing to do like a two year old.

Honestly, you'd think he was the youngest sibling.

  The man at the shop allowed Nya and Kai to pop in, this time he gave Nya a beat up vehicle. He said if she could revive it, she could keep it. Which was currently what she attempting to do.

  "How's it going over there, sis?" Kai placed down the pathetic scrap of paper he had managed to forge into something that could resemble a monster and chased a dust bunny around.

  "Horrible!" His younger sibling growled in frustration. Kai could tell she was holding back a curse. Though she was only two years younger than him, Kai found himself still seeing her as the little girl he had pretty much raised. So, maybe Kai went all parent on her and forbid profanities. A brothers gotta do, what a brothers gotta do- eh?

  She brushed her dark bangs out of her eyes, wiping her grease covered hands on her once clean scuffed jeans. "I can't get the engine working, the car battery is totally done for and there are countless other things I need to fix in order to get this baby go work!"

  Kai left his monster and dust bunny behind as he came up beside her at the cars hood.

  "Maybe you should take a break. Why are you so intent on fixing this anyways? It's not like you can drive for another year." Kai pointed out.

  Nya glared at him, promptly jabbing a dirty finger into his chest. "Who says I can't just because the law says so? Besides- you can drive, therefore I can be driven places."

  Kai raised his hands in surrender. "Alright! Sheesh! But no driving outside of empty roads and parking lots until you turn sixteen."

  Nya rolled her eyes, grabbing a towel and wiping her hands. After she was finished she swatted him playfully with it and tossed her book bag over her shoulder. 

  "Come on, we better get back to The O before Mrs. Brown realizes we didn't come straight home." She said. Kai sighed, taking her bag from her and following her out. They both waved goodbye at Francis, the shop owner.

  Kai felt his feet drag as they walked down the road but he had to be a good influence on Nya. So Kai forced himself to pick up the pace. "Race you to the big oak tree!" Kai shouted, taking off.

"It's on!" Nya laughed.

~*~*~*~

Kai slammed his fist on the table. Harsh words tumbling from his lips like water from a waterfall as he yelled profanities at the director of the orphanage. Nya stayed silent, even though she was silently boiling inside.

  Fire and water. Fire was visibly dangerous and unpredictable. You could feel the blistering heat of fire before it burnt you. But water was more of a masked danger. It was pretty, what seemed like a gentle lake could tug you under with a surprise undertow. Though Nya could be a tsunami she knew when to silently flood when she needed too. That was the difference between Kai and Nya:

  Kai stormed out of the room, Nya at his heels as usual, his ears would be steaming if he was a cartoon character. Kai clutched the crumbled paper in the hand that wasn't trying to dislocate her shoulder as he dragged her down the road.

  "Kai," Nya said slowly as she gritted her teeth. No response. "KAI!" Nya yanked her hand away. Constant arm wrestle battles between the stupid boys at school who had thought they were better than her caused the strength in her arms to be quite impressive. Finally her older brother stopped.

  He was good looking, they both were, they couldn't deny it. His hair was brown, the colour of milk chocolate and his eyes were dark and striking with streaks of amber. Nya was a ravenette. Her dark hair was usually pulled in a ponytail. Though they had very similar eyes, Nya's were more of a deep dark brown and the orange glint was missing.

  "Look," Nya turned him around to face her. "We both aren't going to like this but the sooner we suck it up the sooner we'll get out of the crazy house and back home."

  "That's just it, Nya!" Kai spat. He wrenched away from her. "We don't have a home. Apparently I'm such a hopeless case that they sent me to some mental boot camp to fix me."

"You're not a hopeless case." She denied firmly. Kai took a deep breath, Nya hesitantly put her hand on his shoulder. When he didn't brush it off Nya knew she had the all clear to give him a hug.

  "Maybe we're both a little broken." Nya whispered into his shoulder. "But I will make sure as the departed realm that it won't stop us."

  Nya felt his arms wrap around her as her eyes flicked to the page in my hand. Nya unfurled it behind Kai's back. Leaning farther into the hug as she read the carefully drawn figures written across the top of the page.

Master Wu's School for Self-Discovery.

Authors note****

First chapter is out! I must say it took me a little bit because I did lots of tweaking and deleting and shifting around but I'm pleased with the outcome! I hope you all are too!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my announcement to help me figure out the perspective!

LuckyBugBooks 🐞