~ Part 6 ~ | To Earn One's Respect

~*~*~*~
** The Gift of a Friend (Demi Lovato) **
~*~*~*~

"And when the hope crashes down
Shattering to the ground
You, you'll feel all alone
When you don't know which way to go
And there's no such leading you on
You're not alone."

~ Demi Lovato

****

This chapter is dedicated to @nanimaus5 ! Thank you for voting!!!

(comment or PM if you'd like a shoutout!)

*****

There was a creak as his foot pressed onto the floorboard. The boy froze, his eyes wide as he looked fearfully into the dark dusty room. The air was thick and warm. Only a little bit of light got through the dust coating the tiny little window. It reflected from the side, barely lighting anything. It only caused the shadows to become longer and thicker than before. A musty smell filling his nostrils, reminding him of his grandmother's house. Old and sour.

This place is much creepier than Grandma's. He thought as he looked around. Even if she has those scary dolls.

Loud chuckles and jeers from behind him made the boy look back. Irritable anger filled him as they teased him mercilessly.

"Too scared, Rod?" Someone called tauntingly.

"He'll never be able to do it." Another snorted.

Rodrigo swallowed hard. It felt like a million butterflies were having a fit in his stomach. He probably shouldn't do it but his urge to prove his bravery outweighed his desire to back out.

Fear gripped him in its fist, making his heart beat faster and faster as he forced himself to continue into the small space. The silence was eery, every tiny breath coming from his mouth, every footstep he made, seemed so much louder than it was.

Something wispy hit him in the face and Rodrigo flinched back. He gagged when he realized he had just stumbled through a large spider web.

"Stupid spiders..." he muttered, swiping at the bits that caught on his tongue.

Rodrigo walked blindly, his step stuttering as his foot caught on something. He tripped with a yell and a loud thud sounded. His elbow caught a box, sending dust flying everywhere as it was shoved aside. He groaned, the snickers of the kids outside the door carrying in a faint echo against the walls.

Rodrigo pressed his lips together in a thin line as he sat up. He brushed the dust off with a grumble and sent a glare back at his friends. The little voice inside his mind said: "This is stupid." And it was. But he'd long since ignored that little voice inside his head.

Rodrigo was well aware his friends weren't what parents called "model students." They were more often referred to as the group parents wanted their children to stay away from. Their reckless behaviour and tendency to do the exact opposite of any rule tended to do that. But they had his back when he was in trouble. That was more than he ever got from his family.