~ Part 19 ~ | A Very Fond Farewell

~*~*~*~

** The Last Goodbye (The Hobbit) **

~*~*~*~

"To these memories I will hold
With your blessing I will go
To turn at last to paths that lead home
And though where the road then takes me
I cannot tell
We came all this way
But now comes the day
To bid you farewell
I bid you all a very fond farewell"

~ Billy Boyd

****

This chapter is dedicated to @Fireflyflow
Thank you for the votes! I really appreciate it!

(comment or PM if you'd like a shoutout!)

*****

Grief is a feeling that is hard to describe. Some people say it's consuming, angry perhaps, even sharp. Others call it numbing, making one unable to focus on what's happening around them. No matter how it feels, sharp or numb, it's never easy. It's not something you can push away as you would anger or something you can calm as you would excitement. It stays there no matter what you do.

The only way to escape grief is to find ways to heal. The pain won't go away completely but at least it'll hurt just a little less.

"Uncle?" Wu lifted his head and turned to see Lloyd approaching him. A warm fondness spread through the man's chest as he looked at his nephew. He didn't have the strength in him to smile but he hoped Lloyd would be able to see the gratitude in his eyes.

"How are you?" Lloyd asked carefully, stopping to stand beside him.

"Yellow chrysanthemums," Wu turned towards the flowers before him, deflecting gracefully. "They're beautiful flowers aren't they?" He reached and gently picked one to smell. "They often represent happiness."

Lloyd nodded slowly. He didn't always understand what Wu said but he liked to try. "Yellow is often used to show joy," Lloyd added.

"They've also been used to symbolize life and sorrow." The older man continued. "But the real reason I'm so fond of them are the words they represent." Lloyd tilted his head and Wu offered the flower to him to look at.

Wu gently placed the flower in his hand. "They're a way of saying goodbye."

"Goodbye, Dad." Morro's last words to him echoed in his head.

"It's time for the funeral." Lloyd reminded him quietly. He slipped the flower into the pocket of his shirt. "Will you be okay?"

Wu cast one lingering look at the flowers before him. They looked so calm and peaceful. "I suppose I'll have to be."

"We don't have to do it. I'm sure everyone will understand if you need another day or so." The boy hurried to say.

The man thought for a moment as he looked back at the people gathered a ways away. His old home had long been torn down and a nice garden had been made to replace it. The people who owned the property were nice enough to allow the group to hold a small funeral there. As Wu gazed at the familiar skies and the trees that have grown he was suddenly so grateful that he was able to spend this day giving Morro the send-off he deserved, right in his favourite place in the whole world.