~ Part 18 ~ | Acid & Emerald

~*~*~*~

** Just Around the Riverbend (Pocahontas) **

~*~*~*~

"What I love most about rivers is
You can't step in the same river twice
The water's always changing, always flowing
But people, I guess, can't live like that
We all must pay a price
To be safe, we lose our chance of ever knowing
What's around the riverbend
Waiting just around the riverbend"

~ Judy Kuhn

****

This chapter is dedicated to Kilo for his patience when listening to my writing rants and rambles at 12:00 am

Sorry this chapter is so dialogue heavy 😂

(comment or PM if you'd like a shoutout!)

*****

"Morro was my everything," A sad smile graced the headmaster's lips. "He was my heart and soul." The students were silent. All eyes were locked on their teacher as they waited patiently for him to continue.

"I found him when I was much younger," Wu began, he peeled open the tabs of the box so he could look inside. "My life was very busy then. I was balancing jobs while also being heavily involved with a justice movement. I was working when he appeared. I don't even remember what I had been working on, only that I decided to finish it outside since it was a nice summer day. Morro had appeared from the garbage cans on the front lawn. He'd been so skinny then and scared... he'd been scavenging through my trash for food."

Wu gently pulled something out of the box. It looked worn, the fabric was a blotchy brown colour and a large clump of dust slid off of it back into the box. Once Wu shook the object to get all the excess dirt off, revealing it to be a kite. The usual diamond shape was a little bent from being stored in a box but it was obvious that the toy had been well-loved.

"This was my old kite from when I was a boy. I had been cleaning my house out. I find the kite and threw it into the trash without a second thought. But when Morro found it his eyes lit up like starlight." Wu murmured. His thumb brushed lovingly over the diamond-shaped object.

Wu remembered that day like it was yesterday. The skinny child picking through the bins. The look of delight when he found the kite. The fear when he realized Wu was watching. Morro had dropped the kite and ran off in his panic. While Master Wu was never one to turn away from a child in need there was something special about Morro that made him all the more intrigued. For the next month, he waited for Morro to come back. He put meals out on his front path like one would for a lost cat. He fixed up the kite as best he could with his limited kite-mending skills. At last, Morro returned, poking through the plate of pork buns Wu had left out for him. He only got more curious when he saw the gift lying beneath the meal. The kite was newly cleaned, the toy shining brighter than it had ever before. Patches of fabric had been sewn over the holes and a brand new string was tied onto the bottom. Morro was never one to smile. So the slight tilt of the lips the boy gave was his equivalent to the grin of the Cheshire Cat.

"Would you like to fly it?" Wu had said.

The headmaster shook his head, bringing himself back to the present. Misako gently squeezed his shoulder reassuringly, urging him on.