Prologue

Prologue
~*~*~*~
** A Million Dreams (The Greatest Showman) **

~*~*~*~
"I close my eyes and I see a beautiful world waiting for me that I call my own."

-The Greatest Showman
~*~*~*~

********

  The sounds of cicadas filled the air, the eerie noise matching the scenery as a sixty year old man ground the toothpick in his teeth, squinting at the area before him.  It was a hot summer day, if you looked into the closest village you would see children sitting under trees and sharing ice cream treats instead of playing ball. The ground was dry, the grass a light yellow colour, leaves so delicate that if you touched them they would float away in little debris of what it was before.This specific place was even more displeasing to the eye than it already would be.

  Thick underbrush crowded any space that wasn't covered in spindly, splintered trees or thorned brushes. Any spot that wasn't desert ground was mucky like a swamp. Hardly any wildlife roamed the area, the putrid stench in the air seemed to have poisoned the habitat, if it was even called one.

  The man raised a bushy eyebrow. "Are you sure you want to buy this specific plot of land?" His harsh country accent split through the shaking sound of emptiness.

   The area had belonged to his father, who he had lost contact with long ago. Unfortunately, the grumpy crow didn't take good care of the area before he passed. The seller was fairly surprised when the client interested didn't plan on bulldozing it completely. The people he pictured in his mind were businessmen or women, not a calm old man sipping tea from a cup.

The man raised his head, light bouncing off of his weaved hat as he moved his wise eyes from the scenery to look at the owner of the land.

"No, this is perfect." His voice was cracked with age but held some sort of... meaning to them. Purposeful. The first man didn't care for such things so he shrugged and spit out his toothpick into his hand.

"It's just...the lands a little too brok'n to fix." He continued, waving the chewed on piece of wood towards the subject. Even though he wasn't a "naive softy" as he usually put it, he was not about to prey on a delusional, half-dead, senior.

The second man have a soft chuckle. A humorous one that older generations used when children said silly stuff about what they didn't understand. "Oh, I'm quite certain that this is the place. Sometimes what's broken isn't as broken as you think."

Knowing he wasn't getting anywhere the first man took the money given to him. Shooting the bearded second one last dubious look he turned to his old truck and drove away.

The remaining person stood alone. Gazing at what was before him.

"This is it." He declared, confidence blooming in his soul. "This will be where it all starts."