Chapter 93

Tord recovered from his flustered attitude and recentered himself to finish working. After he had finished most of the documents he stretched and yawned. He quickly fell into position at his desk when the door opened and Anastasia stepped in.

"Red leader sent me to spend time with you since you must be sooo lonely without your meat shield."

Her tone was mocking and she sat down on the corner of his desk.

"My father won't appreciate you sitting on his desk."

"I'm sure this desk has seen much worse."

Tord shuddered thinking of all the things that most certainly did happen on this desk.

"Then you definitely don't want to sit on it."

"Why didn't you take red leader's room?"

"Same story as the desk. Besides that would be like declaring he was dead. And I like being alive surprisingly."

Anastasia hopped off the desk with a small "ew" and sat down on a chair across the room instead.

"So why are you so short?"

"That's no way to speak to your higher up."

"But I want to know!"

"Well too bad."

"I tell red leader that you hit me if you don't tell me."

Tord sighed loudly.

"One I'm not done growing,Two I don't have enough nutrients to work because they're all wasted on giving me energy to fight here,Three It's a trait on my mother's side of the family to be short. Does that answer your question?"

"Yes sir."

"Anyways what do you want, I still have to finish this paperwork."

Anastasia pouted and stood to stand in front of Tord.

"I want you to date me!"

"No."

Anastasia puffed her cheeks and frowned.

"I WILL date you, you're father already promised me that I'd be your wife."

"Did he even ask me for my thoughts?"

"Well no, but-"

"And what makes my opinion invalid?"

"Well he knows best as your father."

Tord laughed until he couldn't breathe.

"You seriously think he gives a flying fuck about my well being? I'm as meaningless as all the other soldiers, but I'm not as easy to replace. The only reason I'm alive is because I'm his only son, and once he has another I'll be as good as dead to him. I'm a failure to him."

Tord smiled throughout his statement as if it didn't faze him, because it didn't.

Anastasia stepped back.

"Why would you think that?"

"Maybe it's all the death threats and broken bones and dreams he's crushed under his iron toed boots."

Anastasia whimpered and stepped out of the room in defeat. Tord groaned. He started to fight himself over whether he should stay in red leader's office or his room to wait for Tom. Tom would likely assume that Tord was still working on his paperwork and check the office first so Tord decided to stay put. He was excited to find the observatory with his boyfriend in the dead of night, now that would be a rush. Tord decided to study the layout of the base to determine where the observatory might be.