Chapter 61

Tom's 'Grammy' was an odd one. Tord was a little offended at her telling him to eat more, he ate plenty, he just worked it all off so much that there wasn't much to spare for growth. That might be why Tord was so short. Tord leaned back and forth watching the two working on putting together some kind of bouquet. Tord wasn't sure. His sight caught on the clock on the wall. Tord froze.

"Shit."

Mrs. Laila turned her head to look at him,

"You alright dearie?"

"No, I'm really sorry. I have to go. God my mother's gonna kill me."

Tord gave a quick hug to Mrs. Laila and kissed Tom's cheek before dashing out of the flower shop.

Tord was as good as dead. Well his social life for sure.

Tord was at his house in record time for him. He leaned over to catch his breath. His mother sat on a chair on the porch and sipped tea from a cup. Tord swallowed down his fear, and walked up to his mother. He crouched on his knees, kneeling to her as if she were the queen of England. He took her hand and kissed it. She looked down at him,

"Speak."

"Lady Trisha, I can only explain my actions with the fault of my head influenced by the distractions of the heart."

"Thanks Hamlet, in English this time."

"Mama I totally forgot about coming right home and not hanging with anyone. I got distracted because I felt so happy."

Tord still didn't get up. This was another tactic he learned from being on base, if you present yourself as smaller and insignificant, you're more likely to be given mercy.

Trisha rose from her seat and walked in the front door. Tord waited a few seconds before getting up. He decided the best thing to do right now was to retreat back to his room and show the utmost obedience.

And so Tord sat on his bed and finished his homework. After an hour or two Trisha came into his room her fingers pinching her forehead in disappointment.

"Tord, Tord, Tord, what will I do with you."

Trisha sat down in the chair beside his desk. She ran a hand through her bangs.

"What do you want?"

Tord honestly didn't expect that, but he knew his answer.

"I want you to forgive Tom."

"That's ludicrous!"

"If you do it I'll obey you."

"Still, I'm not forgiving him."

"Mama I love him!"

"You think you do, but he'll just stab you in the back when he doesn't need you anymore."

Trisha snarled.

"Not everyone is a manipulative power hungry monster like him!"

Tord's throat was sore from yelling.

Trisha was silent.

"You're right, you're right, you're right."

Trisha's shoulders shook as the tears fell down her cheeks. Tord stood from his bed and walked over to her. She raised her arms in defense. Tord hugged her and held her close.

"Shhh it's ok, you're ok, I won't let you be hurt again."

"But I'm supposed to protect you." Trisha choked out.

"You need for someone to treat you right. I'll do my best, but I'm not perfect."

"You're perfect to me."

Tord hugged his mother tighter.

After she had quieted down Tord wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Do you think you could try to forgive Tom for me?"

Trisha nodded her head.

"Thank you mama."

Tord helped his mother to bed.

He laid down and smiled. Things were getting better.