Chapter 69

Tord saw the stares out of the corner of his vision. Tom wasn't very good at hiding how he was feeling from his face alone unless he focused. Tord decided he needed to talk some sense into his mother.

"Mama, could we talk privately for a moment?"

Trisha puffed out her cheeks but nodded.

"Excuse us for a moment we'll only be gone a bit."

Trisha and Tord stood from the table and stepped outside of the house.

"Do you wanna pull yourself together?"

Trisha looked down guiltily.

"You were fine with him a month ago."

Trisha was still silent.

"Look mama, either you push aside your prejudices and be friendly, or you can go home."

Tord crossed his arms.

"Do I make myself clear Larrison?"

Trisha took in a shaky breath,

"Yes sir."

Tord gave his mother a hug.

"Now let's go inside before they eat all of Mrs. Gold's cookies."

"Amanda does make superior cookies." The horned Norwegians stepped back inside.

Upon sitting down Tord noticed that there were indeed not any cookies left.

"No!"

"Tord calm down there's another platter." Edd returned to his conversation with Matt's parents.

Trisha sighed a breath of relief and took a handful of cookies from the platter. Tord looked back up at Tom. Tom looked worried.

"Hey you alright?"

"What? Oh I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yeeeaah."

Tord wasn't gonna believe that, but that but he wasn't gonna push it.

"You're bad at lying."

Amanda turned to Tord.

"Tord stop being so rude!"

"Yes ma'am."

The night carried on happily, the kids all sitting on the couch and watching a holiday classic. Tom would complain about it every now and then but the others would glare at him till he shut up. The adults sat at the table drinking tea. Some watching the screen others invested in their quiet conversations.

At the end of the movie Tord was half asleep. He was already next to Tom so he just flopped onto his shoulder and cuddled in.