Chapter 27

Tord wiped the drool away from his mouth and sat up as much as his seatbelt would let him. He read over Tom's message.

Tom: Hey Commie wanna go shooting?

Tord shot awake at this startling his mother.

"W-what is it dear?"

She asked wide eyed as if looking for a predator in the area. Tord let out an elated squeal as he gripped his phone.

"Mama, I'm going to go to the shooting range with a friend. Is that alright?"

Trisha let out a short chuckle. "From your reaction they sound like they're more than a friend to you."

"S-shut up!" Tord sputtered, his face painted red.

"I'm teasing love, promise. And just be back before one o'clock."

"That's pretty lenient, what's up?"

"I heard you finally beat that bastard. If you can knock him out you can take anyone. Besides you won't be alone."

Tord beamed at his mother's knowledge of his triumph.

They rolled into their street and Tord hopped out immediately, rushing inside to set down his bag from the base, return the heaven sweater to its spot in his bottom drawer, get changed, and gather up his babies in a duffle bag.

Tord sprinted to the abandoned shooting range, not wanting to miss a second of time with Tom. He spotted the ticked male leaning against one of the walls. His heart leapt in joy at the mere sight of the man. He ran up to him and enveloped the boy in a warm hug. Tom stiffened up and awkwardly patted Tord's back. Tord rested his head on the slightly taller boy's shoulder, and mumbled,

"I missed you."

Tom froze at those words and leapt away from the hug.

Tord tilted his head in confusion, "What's wrong Tom?"