Chapter 25

After a long tiring day of training and finally giving that bastard father of his his rightful beating Tord was ready to fall asleep straight away. It was about 10:20, Tord checked his phone and saw 3 notifications. Opening his phone he saw they were messages from Tom. Tord did a double take. His eyes skimmed over the chat.

There was definitely something up with Tom, he never key mashed.

Tord responded immediately, hoping Tom was still online.

Tord: Are you good man?

Tom: I'm grooiod

Tord: Are you high?

Tom: nopeyie

Tord: Are you drunk? You never act like this.

Tom: Siii

Tord: Did that shithead kick you out? I'll kick his ass

Tom: yenahhh........ kendaaa. I wolkeed out

Tord: Where are staying? Are you safe? Have you told anyone where you are? Did you tell my mom? You can stay with her till I get back.

Tom: Neh mann. I donut need holp. Safe as cun be

Tord: just, stay safe you idiot. I don't know what I would do without you.

Tom: <4 som here

Tord's mouth curled into a smile. Sure Tom was drunk to hell, but he still returned the feeling to an extent. Tord snuggled into the blue sweater around him, he should probably tell Tom he has his sweater, but something in Tord's heart made him want to keep the sweater as close as possible. Besides, he'd tell Tom once he was sober.

Tord: well i should sleep I've got to get up early tomorrow

Tord: <3 don't die.

Tom: yu ither. Negth

Tord clicked off his phone and laid with a smile. He was out like a light.

The alarm blared and he shut it off. His body ached but he ignored that, once again pain was a weakness.

Tord thought of how soon he would be in Tom's- his mother's arms, that was more likely. She was much more openly affectionate towards him.

Trisha worked on the red army base as his father's secretary. She worked so hard. More people knew her name than any other high ranking soldier.

However Trisha was young and trusting. Trisha was raised by liars and cheats and she fought against her upbringing by always being better.

When red leader took interest in her, she trusted he admired her work mindset.

That wasn't true in the slightest.

Trisha could never finish telling Tord this story, she would burst into tears and curl up, not opening for anything. Tord despised the man further for this. No one should take the future away from someone as good as his mom. But Tord knew that failure to respect your leader was treasonous. Tord would have to speak to his father.

The infirmary was cool, and calm. It's steady beeping let Tord focus. He stood at his father's beside and waited.

And waited.

The beeping remained constant as the sun started to sink. Tord was weak; he was running off the meals from the day before.

Here started an internal struggle: stay on base or leave? If he stayed he would fall behind and likely be stuck for weeks, but yet he couldn't leave without his father's word to go. So he waited. Finally the man stirred consciousness,

"What day is it?"

"Sunday, October 19th, 1800 hours."

"Get off my base"

The mans face was dark, full of rage and thirsting for revenge.

Tord didn't need to be told twice.

He packed his things and triple checked he had the sweater.

Tord walked off base with purpose. Once he was out of sight, he ran.

The trip by car took about 10 minutes, so Tord knew he'd be running for a while. He just had to reach the halfway mark. Then Trisha could take him home.

Tord didn't stop running until he saw the rundown buildings of the town.

He stopped and nearly burst into tears from happiness, but Tord couldn't cry. He was on the verge of dehydration. His head pulsed in pain as he called his mother.

Within a few minutes he was wrapped in a hug and seated in the small familiar red car. Trisha handed him a bottle of water, which he drank immediately. The drive was silent and Tord wanted nothing more than to sleep, and he did.

But he was awoken by his phone buzzing with messages from Tom.