8. Vikram Franc Kollins ( Edited POV )

Most of the us had their soulmates and the girls who were single had three choices. Stay back at the mansion, enjoy wolves back rides in the woods or accompany Mayank to the Ball. In the end, I, Akshat, Krishna and Rashmi were the only one's to step into the carriage.

Fetherford was a picturesque little village just a few miles up the North of Rockfether with open bakeries and coffeehouses every two blocks. Trees and lanterns lined every street and opulently built log houses were decorated in velvet curtains and fragrant flowers. As the carriage drew near our destination, I caught a glimpse of the Kollins Manor house standing tall and proud by a lake. It was huge. The coachman drove the carriage through the cobblestones with Maples trees lined up it's verges into the Kollins Estate.

I was wearing a simple deep black lehenga and blouse with a deep maroon dupatta draped over my left shoulder that covered half of my midriff. My long black hair that fell even further down my hips were done in perfect loose french braids with several small tamed strands framing my face and for jewellery, I opted for my favourite; pearls. A pearl choker with a single ruby and tiny white stones around it around the neck, brownish gold Kangans around the wrists, and ruby studded earrings in ears. My green eyes were rimmed with thick kohl, my lips tinted with deep red lip rouge and a plain black bindi rested in the middle of my brows.

Beside me, Rashmi was restless but at least happy that she didn't have to wear weird looking dresses like Gritaan women. She was throwing a line of tantrums while we were out shopping a few days ago.

That afternoon went something like--

"Can't we just wear Ghagra Cholis ?! I don't want to wear these balloony gowns." Rashmi spoke her heart.

"According to Susan D Kollins, the Gritaan Society frowns if a lady shows up at a Ball with her midriff bare." I said as I stopped to look at simple prairie dresses hanging behind the glass display of a shop.

"Oh to hell with it. I don't care. This is my culture and if they got a problem. They can piss off." Rashmi replied, raging and the people around us weren't helping either. They stared at us, some amused, some amazed and some with disgust in their eyes.

I glared back at a man as if, at any moment, I would snatch his top hat off his head and ram it down his throat. He'd quickly turned away.

I knew Rashmi had a point. We didn't need to worry about our apparel at all. We represented their culture and a culture so rich deserved to get flaunted and not kept hidden away beneath shimmering silks of Gritaan costumes.

"Rashmi ? Calm down."

"No. Let's go. We'll go as we are." She said, taking my hand and marching past the shop. Riddhi, Siddhi and Vaasu, like always, followed us silently. Too shy to speak.

"Actually you are right. To hell with the society. They won't be labelling women, judging them by their clothing if they are as high and cultured as they claim."

Now she was smiling, swathed in her favourite golden lehenga and blouse accompanied by a dark green dupatta. Akshat and Krishna were wearing their finest bandhgala suits, silent as ever. After a good fifteen minutes drive the carriage came to a halt in front of the Kollins family mansion. Two servants rushed to open the door and we stepped out.

"I will never understand if they do it out of respect or think women are incapable of doing anything on their own on a spiritual level." Rashmi commented as she straightened her lehenga.

"Neither will I."

The Kollins manor house had to be the biggest among every palace I had seen on my way there. The dark brown brick facade was tall with slopped roofs and high turrets. There was no portico, instead thick carved dark wood doors were wide open to welcome the guests. People were already looking our way, some awing, some whispering, some gasping and frowning.