16 - Trust Is A Luxury. (Edited POV)

As planned, I sat on the small sofa over at the Jharokha. A book in one hand and a wine goblet on the other. Dhruv, my pet Raven was sprawled on the wooden table. I kept looking at a particular goblet instead of the book, taking small sips of wine. Cold breeze brushed my cheeks and the fragrance of the roses lined up in the balcony eased my restless mind a bit. The wine hadn't kicked in, it wasn't supposed to.

The moon was watching me, my actions, judging me and I ignored it. Whatever I was doing, it was for my people, it was for my family, for my duty. I peeked to look outside at lawn... He wasn't there yet but soon will be. I took a big gulp of wine as I thought of my conversation with the old woman not an hour ago.

"Sahiba Rana ?" I pretended not to have heard the maid.

"Sahiba Rana ? There is a woman with a request to see you. She says she is a medic and you know her well." The maid said.

"Send her in. She's a medic I trust." With my heart beating faster, I had ordered.

The maid had bowed and left the room. Within a minute, Witch Damini Pandit had entered the royal chambers rather hurriedly.

"Oh, Shivanya my child ! How I've longed to see you !" The old woman clad in a black saree had engulfed me in a bone crushing embrace as she babbled on about how she had missed me and how she was sorry for what had happened with father.

"I missed you too Dami Ma. I missed everything. Have you got what I asked for ?" She'd rummaged through her tote bag and had retrieved two paper packets.

"The one in the form of tablets are for your health and the other in the form of powder is what you have asked of me. It's risky... Are you sure you want to do this, my child ?" She had asked in a dragged rough voice, Her stance intimidating.

"This will be the last drink I'll have with him. I've thought about it Dami Ma. I know what I'm doing. It's clear because I hate him."

"May Mahadev bless you my child, you're doing it for your people."

"I will do anything I can for my people. You must leave. He'll be here any minute now. Har Har Mahadev."

"Har Har Mahadev." With that she had left the Rana Haveli and disappeared into the magical way to her home.

I sprinkled some wine on myself and after a few minutes of waiting, The doors to the chambers opened again, there was no knocking that time. Rudraksh entered room and stopped in his tracks. He stood there wrapped in his ever fitting, navy blue chrisp Bandhgala suit with an expression of shock across his handsome face.

"I see you're awake. Is it my lucky day, Madira ?" He asked as he walked over to me.

"Oh I slept well this afternoon and I feel quite active. Should I be sleeping instead, My Lord ?" I raised a brow at him and he smiled.

"As for your health you should be sleeping but a selfish part of me wishes to keep looking into those eyes. It's the first time I'm hearing your voice before sleeping."

"There's a first time for everything. Like for instance... Having a drink with me." He looked even more shocked now that it was almost comical and... Cute. I couldn't believe the most beautiful human I ever laid my eyes on was my soulmate and the killer of my father.

"What ?"

"What did you just say ? A drink with you ? Are you sure ?"

"Yes. You're saying as if you don't want to."

"Of course I do. But... Are you feeling quite well Madira ? Has your fever worsened ? Let me check..." When he advanced to touch my face, I leaned away and glared.