eighty six

"So how many do we have here?" The Cullens and I gathered outside while the other vampires occupied the house. Not too far from us was the Denali coven as they lingered about. Our whole family was back, minus Alice and Jasper, and we decided it was time to regroup and figure out our final plan.

"Eighteen." Edward mentally counted. "We've made some good friends over the years."

"Most of them friendly," Emmett smirked. He and Dom shared a laugh before clearing their throats awkwardly when Esme glared at them. "Okay so we've got the numbers, now what?"

"I've suggested for those with powers, demonstrate them for us. It won't come to a fight but almost everyone here has been alone for some time." Carlisle explained.

"We've seen Benjamin's gift. Eli is practically obsessed with him now." I chuckled. "He's become a little shadow for him."

"Which I'm sure he doesn't mind." Esme smiled playfully.

"We've seen the Amazonians' abilities. And Eleazer is helping Bella with hers." Edward added.

"Oh yeah, the beginning of Kate and Garrett's love story," I smirked. I looked over my shoulder at her and caught her glare. She eventually rolled her eyes and smirked back at me.

"A tale as old as time." Emmett chuckled. We discreetly fist bumped while Esme shook her head at our joke.

"Whose gifts do we have left to see?" Esme inquired. Though her question went unanswered. The vampires around me tensed up and their heads snapped in the direction of the trees. Growling echoed from afar and the Denalis sped to our side as everyone gathered together. Emmett shoved me behind him and Kate and Garrett stood on either side of me.

"Who is it?" A question I've been asking a lot lately.

"I don't know." Which is the only answer I've been given to that question. I should've run inside the house but seeing as there was a major threat to my humanity in there too, I didn't. Also, my curiosity got the best of me.

"Emmett, Garrett, Esme, stay here." The three of them nodded and Carlisle, Edward, and Bella, along with the Denalis, ran into the woods.

"Can you hear anything?" I asked Emmett.

"Sounds like they're nomads. From I don't know where." He nudged me towards the house and I stood on the porch steps as we stood there waiting for the others to return. "They're coming." They immediately tensed up again as the others returned with two unfamiliar faces. Their eyes were red, lips still had remnants of blood, and skin paler than Edward's. An involuntary shiver ran down my spine the closer they got.

"A human?" One of them smirked at me.

"Try anything and I'll end you," Kate smirked at him as she moved past him. Before I could introduce myself, she grabbed my hand and dragged me inside. "They're not worth knowing. Trust me."

"I should still thank them for at least coming," I replied.

"They're not here for that. They're here for a chance to fight." Garrett piped in as he followed us to the living room. I stood in between the two of them and the other vampires in the room took turns glancing at me. "Or to eat you. That's always a possibility."

"You're not funny." I glared at him. It wasn't long before everyone was gathered in the living room and the sun was setting. Eli sat on the floor between my legs pretending to read one of his books while Eleazer began to speak.

"When Aro wants someone from a coven, it's not long until he finds evidence to desecrate that coven to get them." He explained. My mind immediately went to Alice as he spoke. It was no secret Aro's been after for her gift, maybe she ran to protect herself. I couldn't blame her.