forty

"If it's a date then why am I coming with you?" I asked my sister. She had woken me up this morning and practically demanded I spend the day with her. So now we were in the truck on our way to pick up Jake - who would be in for a surprise when he saw me.

"Because it's not a date. Or well, it's not supposed to be." She looked confused and I wanted to laugh. But I didn't. "I just don't want him to get the wrong idea."

"Then why did you agree to this 'date'?" I put up my fingers and made air quotations as I said the word date. She stared blankly at me, probably wondering why she had agreed.

"I needed a distraction." She shrugged. I probably should've gotten angry with her for admitting to using Jake but I couldn't. Not when I knew that this was what she wanted.

"Well let's go get your little boyfriend and get this beach trip going," I smirked at her and hopped out of the truck after she parked it in front of Jake's house. I didn't give her a chance to respond and headed to the front door. I twisted the doorknob and found it unlocked. I placed my hand over my eyes as I swung it open. "Billy I hope you're decent because if not then this is extremely awkward," I shouted out.

"Good morning to you too Clary." Billy chuckled in his deep voice.

"Morning. But seriously, are you decent because I want to uncover my eyes." I muttered.

"Yes Clary, I'm decent." He chuckled again. I removed my hand from my face and smiled brightly at him.

"Billy!" I smiled and ran to him. I launched myself into his lap and hugged him tightly. "How's my second father doing these days?"

"Still dancing and popping wheelies." He smirked.

"Well, that's dandy." I smiled. "Maybe we should find you a dance partner, you know since my dad has two left feet." I wiggled my eyebrows.

"No, your dad will do just fine for now." He shook his head.

"Well just tell me if you change your mind." I stood up and clapped my hands one time. "Now where is that gigantic son of yours? He has a date with my sister and I am being forced to chaperone."

"He's not here." Billy's voice turned cold. I glanced behind me to see Bella eyeing Billy worriedly. "The boys found a new trail this morning so Sam had Jake go help them track it down. He thinks they might be able to catch her this time."

"Well, that's good. I mean I'm scared for them but I thought gingers were supposed to be friendly, not murderous." I sighed and fiddled with the ends of my hair.

"Only you Clary." Billy chuckled and shook his head. "Don't worry, it's not as dangerous as you're thinking. Sam knows what he's doing- if anything you two should be worried. It's you she wants to end not them."

"See Bella? I told you my awesomeness would get me killed some day." I turned to her and crossed my arms. "I just didn't think it would be this soon." I huffed and bit my lip.

"We'll be at the beach," Bella told Billy before grabbing my hand and dragging me out of the house.

"See ya later Billy," I called out to him as I was dragged to the truck. "Good morning Harry!" I smiled and waved as Harry Clearwater climbed out of his truck.

"Good morning Clary." He waved back and walked over to Billy. I climbed into the truck and closed the door, patiently waiting for Bella to do the same.

"To the beach," Bella muttered. We rode in silence and it irked me. It wasn't a good kind of silence, which worried me. As soon as we reached the beach, Bella parked the truck and exited the truck faster than ever seen her move. She marched over to this large boulder and sat upon it. I sighed and followed after her, standing beside her. She startled me as she suddenly hopped to her feet. "Come on." She beckoned me to follow her and I stupidly did.

We trekked up the hill, heading towards the edge of the cliff. If my fear of heights wasn't making me anxious I would've admired the view and noticed just how eerie this beach seemed. I stopped a few feet away from the edge but Bella scooted closer and stood directly on it. She looked over the edge and I shivered out of fear. I wrapped my arms around myself as a breeze swept by. I glanced around at the darkened sunlight seeping through the trees before turning back to my fearless sister.

Just as I turned my attention back to her, I screamed. "Bella!" She flung herself over the edge and into the roaring water. I screamed her name again and ran to the edge of the cliff. I started to sob as I searched for her. I screamed her name again before turning around and running down the mountain. I had barely made it to the end when a pair of arms grabbed me.

"Clary, what's wrong?" Paul asked frantically as he held onto me tightly. Jared, Embry, Sam, and Jake were behind him but I was too busy trying to get out of his hold to notice.

"Bella j-jumped off the c-cliff!" I cried. I heard someone curse before speeding away. Paul picked me up and carried me back to the beach. I glanced around looking for any sign of my sister. I gasped in relief as I saw Jake carry her onto the shore. He laid her body onto the sand and I finally broke free of Paul's hold. I ran to her and knelt beside her. Her face was multiple shades whiter and her lips were turning blue. Jake placed his hands on her chest and began pumping them up and down. I watched as he pressed his mouth to hers but she didn't awaken. I sobbed louder and begged for her to wake up.

After Jake's third attempt at CPR, Bella spat out water and gasped for breath. I grabbed her and held her close.

"What happened?" She stammered.

"You jumped," Jake informed her. "We came as soon as we heard Clary scream."

"What's wrong?" Bella asked Jake.

"Why did you jump?" I blurted out.

"It's stupid." She shook her head.

"Why Bella?" I demanded. I wasn't up for her games, I wanted the truth.

"Edward." She mumbled. I stared blankly at her before moving away from her and standing up.

"Dammit, Bella!" I shouted. "You tried to kill yourself for that idiot? What the hell is wrong with you?!"

"Clary, calm down," Jake warned me as he grabbed Bella and held her close.

"No Jake!" I sobbed. "My sister just tried to kill herself and you're telling me to calm down?!" I shook my head and wiped away the tears that fell down my face. "You know what Bella, I'm done with your bullshit. You have a family to live for but you're willing to throw all of that away for a boy who left you behind." I glared at her. "Right now there's someone who's fighting to get just one more moment with their family but you're willing to give it all up." I hung my head and began to walk away from her. "I hope Edward's worth it Bella." And I walked away.

I didn't have a destination in mind but I was willing to go to any place that my sister wouldn't be at. But I went home. I locked myself away in my room and shut all of the lights off. I plugged my earphones in and blasted the loudest song I could find. I wanted to drown out the world and for an hour, I had done a pretty good job at doing that.

That was until a petite pixie-haired fairy decided to show up on my doorstep.