eighteen

So why did you tell me not to be scared?" I asked Emmett. After we had our little moment, Emmett picked me up and zoomed over to a large boulder that sat facing the creek. He sat me on it and stood in between my knees with his back against my chest. I ran my fingers softly in his hair as he played with my free hand.

"Because I'm different." He said plainly. I nudged his head to lean against my shoulder and I eyed his pale -sparkling- face. His eyes were closed and he had a small smile on his face.

"Emmett you being different isn't scary." I laughed softly. His eyes opened and met mine and my eyes widened as his eyes even began to become brighter in the sunlight. "I don't know if I ever told you this or not, but you have really pretty eyes." I smiled and traced his cheekbone delicately.

"Thanks." He chuckled. "So do you." I pecked his cheek and looked back over to the creek.

"Something is still weird to me," I began. I could feel his eyes on me and I couldn't help but get nervous under his gaze. "On my first day when we were in Government, why were you looking at me like that?" I didn't need to elaborate anymore, I knew he knew what I was referring to.

"Your smell." He answered. "Everybody has a different smell but yours was - is - more enticing. And when you walked in, I almost ruined everything for everyone. I was so close to losing control but I had to fight harder because I couldn't let it happen again."

"You've lost control before?" I asked though I guessed the answer. "And why was my smell more desirable for you?"

"I've lost it a few times. And each time my family was there to clean up my mess. I couldn't let them do it again, and just so you know, I'm glad I hadn't lost control. Because then, I wouldn't be here with you right now." I met his eyes and his smirk was prominent on his face. I felt the heat rush to my face and his smirk only widened. "You know, with your boobs pressed against my back." And then I smacked him. Well, his head.

"Way to ruin a moment Em." I rolled my eyes.

"It's what I do the best babe." He chuckled and kissed my cheek. "And to answer your other question, it's because you're my blood singer."

"What's that?"

"It's kind of like a mate. Every vampire has one, some more than one. Our blood singer has the sweetest of smells that make it hard to resist them. Some end up killing their blood singers because of it." He explained.

"So I'm your mate?"

"No." I looked over at him and he had a soft look in his eyes. "You're my everything."

"Stop being so cheesy." I rolled my eyes and whacked his head again but I couldn't the blush that was forming. He chuckled and moved away from me before turning around and facing me fully.

"Has anyone else in your family found their blood singer?"

"I've asked them and besides me, only Edward." He sighed. "And your sister happens to be his blood singer." He chuckled.

"That makes sense." I giggled. "Are they together too?"

"No, not yet." He shook.his head and started to twirl the ends of my hair. "Edward is scared to take things further with her. He doesn't want to hurt her and he feels that by making it official, he will."

"But you and I are together?"

"That we are. But I know that I will do everything I can to not hurt you." He rested his palm against my cheek as he cupped my face and moved closer to me. "I love you Clary and I promise to do anything and everything I can to prevent anything from happening to you." He vowed.