twenty

"What are they doing here?" Bella muttered as we pulled up to the house. She insisted I come with her so she can change, so I did. But as I eye Billy's weathered vehicle sitting in our driveway, I feel some regret. I love Billy, but he hates the Cullens and if he were to find out that his practical daughter was dating one, he'd hate me too.

"Have them leave, and then we'll be back," Edward tells her. She nods and he kisses her hand softly before she exits the vehicle. I turn to Emmett and kiss his cheek before following after her.

"Hey Billy, hey Jake." Bella greeted them as we walked over. "Charlie won't be here until later, hope you haven't been waiting long." She smiled sweetly at them though I could sense the bitterness behind it.

"Not long. Just wanted to bring this by." He held up a brown paper bag. "Might want to put it in the fridge- it's Harry's famous fish fry." He said. Bella nodded and grabbed the bag from him giving him a small smile.

I observe Jake as Bella and Billy exchange words but he's not even looking over at us. His eyes are focused on the ground, his eyebrows are furrowed, and his mouth is tightly closed. He doesn't seem happy and it worries me that he isn't.

"Where is it?" I've pulled away from looking over at him as he speaks to Billy and finally meets my gaze. His eyes have darkened and narrowed as he glares at me and I force myself to look away. His unhappiness is aimed at me, but why?

"In the truck, you might have to dig for it." Jake nods and treads to the truck. I turned back to Billy and he was eyeing Bella and me harshly as we shift uncomfortably under his glare.

"Thanks for the fish fry." Bella nodded to him. He nodded back and silence once again descended upon us.

"Girls." He simply stated. Bella crossed her arms and looked him in the eye as he continued. "Your father is one of my best friends." Bella sighed quietly as I nodded, unsure of where he was going with this topic. "I see you've both been spending a lot of time with the Cullen boys." He knew and he wasn't happy.

"Yeah." Bella quipped.

"Maybe it's none of my business, but I'm not so sure that that is a good idea." He spoke roughly.

"You're right, it is none of your business." Bella snapped and I sighed quietly. The last thing I wanted to do was speak harshly towards Billy, but it seemed that his care for us was too possessive.

"You probably are unaware of the unpleasant reputation the Cullen Family has on the reservation." He raised his eyebrows.

"We're aware," I spoke quietly. Billy's eyes darted away from Bella to mine and I could see the sadness buried in them.

"You two seem well informed of the Cullens." He glanced between the both of us.

"Perhaps more than you." Bella snapped at him again.

"Maybe." He responded. "Just think about what you're doing girls."

"Okay." A small smirk planted itself on Bella's face.

"And by that I mean don't do what you're doing." His eyes met mine but I glanced away and settled my gaze on my boots.

"There's no picture," Jake said as he approached us.

"Guess I left it at home." Billy hummed. "Well tell Charlie I stopped by. See you later girls." He rolled out to his truck with a disappointed Jacob following behind him.

"Go change, they'll be here soon," I mumbled to Bella. She nodded and I was left alone. My sugar high had evaporated and the guilt had set in. Billy was upset with us but part of me didn't care. I was happy with Emmett, I wasn't about to let Billy change that.