thirty eight

Tuesday morning was just like any other day. The sun was nowhere in sight along with the boy who snuck into my bedroom the previous night. I found myself alone once again. Dad had left for work and Bella had headed to Jake's. I was sitting alone with nothing to do so I found myself discarding my pajamas and changing into a pair of cropped yoga pants and a sports bra with a thin sweater over it. I slipped my black Nikes on and pulled my hair into a ponytail. I walked outside and locked the door behind me, discarding my key into the potted plant on the small porch.

I started my jog off slowly. The doctor had warned me about overdoing myself after my treatment but I've had enough experience with them to know what my limit was. I jogged down the street, my feet carrying me towards the outskirts of Forks before directing me onto a small trail headed inside the forest. The ground was damp and I had to be wary of where I stepped, mud puddles crowded the man-made path. Mist from the trees fell onto me as I ran and welcomed it as it cooled my sweaty skin.

I slowed down once I came across a fallen tree. It was too tall for me to cross over it, so I walked along the side of it, trying to find a way around it. The sound of my heavy breathing was the sound that came to my ears, which was odd to me. No sound was heard, not even crickets. It unnerved me. I made my way around the giant tree eventually and I began running again. But the sound of a twig stopped me.

I was only a few feet from the fallen tree and I glanced back at where the sound was emitting from. I couldn't see anything so I turned around and jogged away, only to stop once again. Another twig snapped. I cautiously turned around and I screamed. Standing atop the fallen tree was the redheaded woman who wanted me dead. She was crouched down and I could see her gleaming red eyes darken. I ignored the voice in my head that told me not to move and I turned around and ran.

I knew she would catch up to me but I wanted a fighting chance. I couldn't hear her run after me but I didn't dare stop moving my feet. Until she forced me to. I skidded to a stop after I spotted her a few feet in front of me. She blurred to me and she stared menacingly down at me. "See you later." She smirked. She glanced to the side before shoving me to the ground. I landed ungracefully on my butt and I used my hands to brace myself upwards.

She winked at me before speeding away in the opposite direction of what she was looking at. And when I saw a large black blur fly before me, I knew just who she was running from. Two more brown blurs followed the black one and I stood up and watched them chase her away. I didn't wait any longer to see if they'd come back, I wasn't stupid. I turned around and ran home as quickly as I could. Once I reached the edge of the trees, I ran to the empty road and glanced behind me. The large black wolf was staring at me. It moved its head up and down slightly and I took it as a nod. I nodded back before running home. As I ran a thought suddenly occurred to me.

She could've easily killed me, but she didn't.

I almost died.​​​​​​

--

After arriving home I drove to Emily's in Bella's forgotten truck. The guys stared at me as I walked into the small house but none of them said anything until Paul decided to speak up.

"What's that scar on your neck?" They all eyed me curiously. I brought my hand up to my neck to cover the crescent-shaped scar and blinked nervously before answering.

"Remember how I told you how the redhead already tried to kill me?" They all nodded. "Well, she bit me instead. Are y'all seriously just noticing it now?"

"Wait, shouldn't you be one of them then?" Jared asked. He didn't bother answering my question. Guess they did just notice it.

"Emmett sucked the venom out before it could change me." I rubbed the scar with my thumb before placing my hand back on my lap.

"Bella mentioned that one of them could read minds, can any of the others do anything like that too?" Embry attempted to change the subject once he noticed Jared and Paul begin to shake.

"Uh yeah." I nodded. "Jasper - the blonde boy- can alter someone's emotions and Alice - the tiny brown-haired girl - can kind of see the future."

"Okay, don't tell them I ever said this, but the future thing is kind of cool." Jared grinned.

"I won't." I giggled. Jared turned to Paul, who was glaring at him and shrugged.

"What? It is! I mean it's a pretty neat thing to be able to do." He tried to defend himself.

"Just stop talking." Paul shook his head.

"The mind reading thing is pretty cool too. It must be sick sometimes though, always knowing what people are thinking." Jared rambled on.

"Jared shut up!" Paul was agitated.

"Embry you gotta agree, that having powers like that is pretty cool." Jared turned to Embry.

"Well, I guess so." Embry nodded.

"See? Even he agrees!" Jared shouted dramatically at Paul. Paul stood up and banged his fists on the table.

"I said shut up." He growled. He kicked his chair back and exited the house, slamming the door behind him.

"Is he okay?" I turned to Sam.

"He's fine Clary, he's always been kind of a hothead. The werewolf thing just made his temper worse." Jared dismissed my concern and began to discuss superpowers with Embry.

"He doesn't care for the Cullens." Sam sat beside me. "Even more so because of the pain they've caused you. You're the sister he never had, he just wants to protect you. And right now, he just needs to let his frustrations out." Sam patted my shoulder before standing up and walking away from us.

"Clary, invisibility or telekinesis?" Jared asked me.

"Telekinesis," I answered him quietly. My answer must've upset him as he began to protest and shout. But my attention wasn't focused on him, it was on the deep dent left on the tabletop.