sixty eight

Waking up in my bedroom, a room I hadn't slept in for over a year, was a refreshing feeling. It reminded me of simpler times. A time before Emmett, before my unplanned teenage pregnancy. A time when my sister and I got along. I sat up and pushed my hair out of my face, glancing around the room. I could see my old cheer uniform thrown on top of a pile of clothes sitting in the hamper by the closet. I knew that if I opened the door, my pair of white pompoms would be sitting there on the shelf surrounded by trophies from cheer competitions.

On the wall next to the window was a tackboard that was covered in pictures of me and the few friends I've had over the years. There was one in particular that I had a sweet spot for a picture of me with Asher, Jennah, Greg, and Thomas. It was the first time I went out with the four of them, the first night I became their friend officially. Asher and Jennah had wide smiles on their faces, arms looped around the other. Thomas, Greg, and I were to the side of them, each of us sticking our tongues out. It was the first picture we ever took together, and unfortunately one of the last. We all had innocent smiles, each of us oblivious to the heartache and pain that awaited us.

Just below that picture was a candid photo of my favorite couple in the world: Matthew and Logan. Since graduating, I hadn't seen them but I tried to keep in touch. They were still the same lovely couple they once were, Matthew studying to become a teacher in California and Logan was working as an intern for a law firm. I received numerous updates about their lives and they both agreed to come home when I decided to have my baby shower. (Matthew already claiming to be the godfather.)

One of the last photos to catch my eye was one of Evie. We were friends, never best friends, but she was still someone I cared about. When I left school, Evie disappeared a few weeks later. No one knew where she went but when other teens started disappearing from the area, they stopped looking for her. They classified her as a runaway but only a select few of us knew what happened to her. Evie had a long life ahead of her but unfortunately, she crossed paths with Victoria and her life abruptly ended. After the fight with the newborns and Victoria, Evie's body was discovered a week later. Along with the bodies of other missing teens. Evie was laid to rest but after everything, Forks hasn't been the same.

"Knock knock." Sue greeted me with a smile as she opened the door. She noticed me looking at the photos and she gave me a soft smile. "Good times?"

"Some of the best," I answered truthfully.

"I don't doubt it." She replied. She sat on the edge of my bed and folded her hands in her lap. "Well do you have any plans for today?"

"No. What were you thinking of doing?" I pushed my blanket off of my legs and crisscrossed them.

"Well seeing as you're having a baby, I was thinking that we can get some baby shopping in. You know, buy a crib, some clothes for him, clothes for you too obviously." She grinned. "Speaking of you, I've got some vitamins downstairs for you. They'll help with the baby's growth."

"You'd do that with me? I mean, you don't have to. I can go by myself."

"Of course, I would! You may not have come from me, but you're mine." She smiled. "So that's a yes?"

"It's a definite yes!" I attacked her with a hug and I honestly never wanted to let go. Seeing as my mom was in Florida, it warmed my heart knowing that Sue was willing to share these experiences with me. "Can Emily come?"

"Of course! Call her and see what she says." She agreed. "I'll go make you something to eat. Get ready, you've got thirty minutes." She gave my head a soft kiss before leaving the room and closing the door behind her. I rushed to grab my phone from the nightstand and I quickly typed in Emily's number. The phone rang twice before a deep voice answered.