seventy

Once we arrived back home it was like a tornado hit. Emily and Sue have gone a little overboard with the baby supplies so Seth was making multiple trips to the car just to get everything. While we were gone Dad dished out an old rocking chair from the garage that was still good enough to use it just needed to be painted, which he promised to do on his next day off.

As I sat in the kitchen watching Sue and Emily show Dad the outfits they chose, I noticed Seth tense up before he relaxed slightly. He gave me a small smile before continuing on his journey up the stairs to my room. I looked out the window and smiled when I saw Jasper's car park in front of the house. He stepped out and I felt baby Eli kick as he sensed my excitement. I stood up and walked to the door, opening it with a smile. As soon as he was close enough to me, I attacked him with a hug. "I missed you Jas."

"Feelings mutual Clary." I felt him chuckle as his arms wrapped around me. I let go of him and allowed him to come inside, him smiling politely and greeting everyone kindly. Before Jasper had an issue with socializing, especially with people who were family to his family's greatest enemy but for my sake, he dropped his previous judgments and treated them as nicely as he could. "That baby sure is growing bigger by the minute." He smirked as I narrowed my eyes at him, knowing he was hinting at me getting bigger along with him.

"You're a funny one Jas." I grinned as I rolled my eyes. We shared a quick laugh before his expression turned serious. "We can talk in the kitchen. It's not exactly private but Seth is the only one hear with supersonic hearing so we should be good." He nodded and followed me into the little kitchen that was out of view from any eavesdroppers. "What do you want to talk about?"

"In truth, how are you?" His eyes softened as he asked his first question.

"Fine mostly. The other day I spent the whole day crying and stuffing my face with any sweet I could find but I'm good now. Eli's healthy, I'm healthy, we're good." I smiled and rested my hand on my growing bump.

"Good." He seemed content with my answer. "Now before you get defensive, one of the things we need to talk about is Emmett." I fought the major urge to roll my eyes and instead tried to stay calm.

"I can't run from that topic forever." I sighed.

"No one been able to get through to him. We've tried, but nothing is working. Esme was hoping you'd be willing to come to see him and maybe get him to finally open up about this parenthood phase he's about to enter."

"I don't see why I have to be the bigger person and go to him. Why am I always having to swallow my pride and leap in his arms? After the whole Volturi situation where he tried to be one of them, I ran to him. I ignored all my rational thoughts and forgave him. And then I left for Volterra, he came to me but I went home with him. I could've stayed and we could be worked things out there but no, I compromised and came back. Now, do I'm having to do it again? Why? Because he doesn't know what to do or how to act? I'm sorry Jasper, I am but I'm not doing it. I'm choosing to be team Clary for this one and I'm sitting my pregnant self down." I felt like my rant was repetitive.

"I'm hearing you, I am. This is why I'm not pushing for you to do it. But I am here to tell you that Esme is throwing you a surprise baby shower in a few days and she's hoping you and him can push your hard feelings aside and be civil for one day, if not for each other then for Eli." I sighed and agreed.

"If it's a surprise, why are you telling me?" I chuckled.

"Because I'm getting you prepared to see everyone." He chuckled.

"Who's going to be there?" I asked, already knowing my sister probably wouldn't be attending.

"Only a few of us and your Dad. We extended the invitation to the Pack but I doubt they'll show. Except for Seth, he was the first one to RSVP." He stopped to smile. "So will you come?"

"Yeah, I'll go. But you need to tell Alice to find me something cute to wear, nothing I have here really fits these days." I pouted.

"You're still beautiful Clary, don't ever think different." He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and gave me a small hug. "So I think that's everything I needed to talk about. I'll come by and pick you up for the baby shower so don't worry about getting a ride over there." I walked him over to the door and bid him goodnight before watching him drive away.

"I should probably text Alice and have her find something cute for me to wear too." Seth joked from behind me.

"Isn't it past your bedtime?" He scoffed and called me a loser before going back upstairs to Bella's old room to sleep. "Love you too!" I closed the front door and locked it before going back to the kitchen to get a snack. Before I could even open the fridge, the home phone rang and I groaned as I answered it.

"Hello?" The only thing that I got in response was silence. "Hello?" I spoke again but still nothing. Without saying another word I hung it up and decided to just call it a night. I didn't know where my Dad, Sue, and Emily went but I was too exhausted to check. The phone rang again as I ascended the stairs but I didn't go to answer it. It wouldn't be until morning time that I'd hear the person's voicemail, spreading regret through me just by the sound of their voice.

"Clary it's me, Mike. There's been an accident with my little brother. We're in the hospital right now and I don't know what he'll be like in the morning. Call me as soon as you can or come down here. He's asking for you. Call me back, please."