forty two

"You were supposed to be watching her!"

"Bella left, she's who I agreed to watch!"

"Clary's family, Jacob! You chose your little girlfriend over someone who is like a sister to you?!"

"You don't think I feel bad?! She's lying there because of me!"

They wouldn't stop yelling. Their voices awoke me. I remembered why I had been asleep. I could remember Victoria attacking me, Bella leaving, and Alice returning. I remembered it all. But what I couldn't remember was why those imbeciles decided to yell when I was directly beside them.

"You should feel bad! That leech lover only used you, Clary never did! Our sister is lying unconscious because you chose her sister over her!" Paul's voice shook with rage and I could only imagine him shaking in anger, close to phasing at any moment.

"I didn't choose anybody!" Jake roared back.

"Can I choose for you guys to quiet down?" I groaned out. I had had enough of their yelling, I just wanted quiet.

"Clary!" Jared's voice shouted my name. I blinked my open and tried to focus on where I was. Once I was able to see the ceiling above me clearly, I turned my head to the side and I found myself facing a maroon-colored wall. I turned my head to the other side and saw the pack, Emily, Billy, and Sue Clearwater staring straight at me.

"Where am I?" I asked quietly.

"My house." Sue stepped forward. "I had to patch you up here, to avoid any questions."

"Does my father know?" I glanced around at everyone but Billy was the one who answered.

"No. He's still searching the forests for the apparent murderer." He seemed almost smug about his answer.

"How long was I out?"

"Too long." Paul scoffed.

"So Bella's not back yet?" I sighed.

"No. She's still not back from wherever she took off to." Jake mumbled angrily. He pushed past everyone to get to the door and stormed out of the room. Nobody spoke. Well, at least until my bladder began to feel like it was going to explode.

"Can I use the bathroom?" Everyone chuckled before Sue nodded and walked over to me. She helped me into a sitting position before helping me stand. She gave me a minute to adjust before walking me out of the room and across the hall to a small bathroom. "Thank you." I smiled at her. She nodded and left me to do my business. I looked in the small oval mirror and was surprised by the girl I saw. Her blonde hair was tied messily atop her head and dark circles covered the skin underneath her eyes. Her light brown eyes were dull and didn't hold their usual brightness.

I quickly did what I needed to do and washed my hands. I walked out of the bathroom and heard everyone talking in the room. I kept my steps quiet and my breathing even as I tried to eavesdrop.

"She doesn't need to know." Someone spoke angrily.

"The message was for her. Whoever texted her will notice she didn't reply and they'll come to check on her." A female voice stated firmly. "Just give her the phone and let her reply."

"She'll leave just like her idiot of a sister!" I winced at the harsh tone that someone used. I felt a small course of anger surge through me as they insulted my sister. I was angry at her but I still felt myself wanting to defend her despite everything.

"If she does, then let her. We cant make her choices for her." Sam said. I knew it was him by the authoritative tone he held when he spoke. "She is a sister or daughter to most of us, her happiness comes first. And Emily is right, this message is meant for her. We give her the phone and then we'll figure out the rest." Their conversation came to end then and I decided to make my presence known. I closed the bathroom door and twisted the doorknob to the bedroom.