Chapter 1

Jade's Pov

     "How old is she?" a dark voice asked.
     "We don't know yet. She hasn't woken up long enough to speak" Another voice said.
     "The doctor said she should be waking up soon," The first voice said.
     I slowly opened my eyes and saw three tall figures standing around me.
     "Hey, there little one. Do you know your name?" The tallest one stepped forward and put his hand next to me. He stared at me the entire time examining all my features.
     "Do you know your name?" He repeated his question and the other two stepped closer. My body began to shake and they quickly stepped back and put their heads down after the tallest one let out a small growl.
     "Rose," I said in a quiet voice.
     "Do you have a last name? How old are you?" The tallest one asked again.
     "Davis," I said and held up my hand and he gave me a small smile.
     "Five? Okay Rose you are going to stay here for a little while and then we will get you a different room." He said and I didn't do anything. My mom always told me to keep my name and age a secret to strangers. She always said there were people in this world we couldn't trust and I had to be careful who I told my real information.

~A couple of days later~

     I was playing with some kids of the pack when the two giant men that brought me here pulled me away. They said the alpha wanted to speak with me. After what felt like a thousand hallways we finally reached the tall doors of his office. We went in and stood in front of his desk waiting for him to talk.
     "Did you already do your chores?" He didn't bother to look up from the paperwork in front of him.
     "I didn't finish because Elly asked me to play with her," He was in front of me in an instant with a dead look in his eyes.
     "You didn't finish them because you wanted to....play?" He was really close to my face.
     "I got tired and she kept asking for-" His hand met the side of my face with a loud smack that echoed in the room. I fell to the ground in tears and put my hand to my stinging cheek. I looked up at him and he had the same look on his face.
     "Next time I tell you to do something you will complete it no matter what" He landed another blow to my stomach and I let out a loud cry. He stood me up and sat me on the chair.
     "I, Roy Miller, Alpha of The Sapphire Pack invite you Rose Davis to join," He said and looked at me
     "Did they teach what to say earlier?" He asked and I nodded. "Go ahead."
     "I, Rose Davis, accept your invitation to join The Sapphire pack," My little voice barely above a whisper.
     "Do you promise to protect and serve the members of your pack with your life? Treat them all like family and never betray any of them?" He asked me.
     "I promise," As soon as I said that I felt something inside me change.
     "Listen to me from now on when I tell you to do something," His voice was so low. I bowed my head and a small whimper left my mouth.
     "Get her out of here," He walked back to his chair as I was dragged out of the office.
     "It hurts" I cried as I clenched my stomach.
     Their grip on my arms tightened which made me whimper. They dragged me all the way to the kitchen and made me finish my chores. As soon as they closed the door I fell to the ground in tears. If I would've known he was going to hit me I would have just finished my chores. With the strength I had left I stood up and started washing all the dishes. Tears continued to rapidly stream down my face, but I continued washing the dishes. Was this going to be my life? Living in torture and being a slave to that nasty man?

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~11 years later~

     I stretched as I got off the mattress I had been sleeping on for the last eleven years. I splashed my face with some water and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I looked like a mess. My hair hit the bottom of my back and had some knots in it, my purple eyes were glossy as always, my eyes were red a puffy from all the crying and I had a small figure of about 5'5. The lack of food and nutrition made me look smaller and younger than I actually was. I put on an old t-shirt and shorts so I can go downstairs and start my shift.
     As I made my way down to the kitchen I held in the pain that was shooting up my leg from the bruises of last night. Every day was the same it has been since I arrived. I started washing the dishes and waited for the rest of the 'staff' to get here. They collected young girls, stray wolves they would find roaming around the pack grounds and made them work as slaves. Once they turn eighteen and get their wolf if they didn't mate with someone in the pack they would disappear.
     "Are you feeling better today?" I asked Skylar when she walked in.
     "Yeah, my bruise is feeling better. It's just a little sore now" She said and gave me a small smile.
     "I'm sorry I should've protected you," I frowned.
     "Are you kidding me? Rose look at your legs. They are covered in bruises! You passed out from how much pain you were in" She said and hugged me.
     "Come on let's finish these so we can start making breakfast," I changed the subject.
Once we finished the dishes we all worked together to make breakfast for the pack. We set out the buffet food just in time every one was coming in.
     "Hey, sweetheart how are you today?" One of the pack members asked me.
     "I'm fine. Would you like some potatoes?" I asked not looking at him.
     "I think you can help me with something else don't you think?" He asked and put his hand on my hip. A low growl from behind us made him jump away from me. We both turned around to see Beta Alfred with his arms crossed.
     "What do you think you're doing touching a sixteen-year-old girl like that? You know it's illegal," He said and walked towards us.
     "I-I'm sorry Beta I didn't know she w-was underage," He bowed his head and our Beta growled again.
      He scurried away and Beta turned to look at me. He extended out his plate and I served him some potatoes. Sometimes it was hard to keep my identity a secret, but I always reminded myself it was for my safety.
      Everyone here thinks I am sixteen-year-old Rose Davis. When my actual name is Jade Brooklow and I am seventeen years old. They think I am turning seventeen soon, so it gives me an extra year to figure out how I can get out of here before they find out the truth.
     Beta Alfred and Gamma Richard were the ones who brought me to this horrendous pack in the first place. Alpha Roy's abuse got worse over the years. He would abuse all of the girls who worked in the kitchen but I would try my best to protect them as much as I could.
He would give us a small portion of food each day so we won't heal as fast as a wolf would. Although we don't have our werewolf form our inner wolf helps us heighten our senses and heal our wounds faster.
     The door slammed open and a low growl echoed throughout the room. We all bowed our heads as our Alpha made his way to his seat and then we returned to what we were doing. The rest of the breakfast went on with no incidents and we were currently cleaning the dishes.
     "You think Beta Alfred might actually feel sorry for us somewhere deep down in his wretched soul?" Skylar asked.
     "Why do you ask?" I finished a set of dishes and went to go grab more.
     "I saw the way he defended you when that packmate tried to make a move on you," I rolled my eyes and laughed.
     "He wasn't defending me. He was just reminding him about the law," I argued.
     "Yeah, sure you keep telling yourself that" She laughed and I brushed it off.
     "Rose," A voice boomed behind us which made us freeze. We slowly turned around and face the towering figure.
     "Beta Alfred," we said and he turned his attention to me.
     "Alpha wants you in his office," He said and I quickly glanced at the dishes that were left.
     "They will finish the rest. Come with me now," As if he read my mind and began walking away with me trailing behind him.
     I looked back at Skylar one more time and she shot me an apologetic look. We went down the familiar hallways and then headed to the part of the packhouse I wasn't allowed to go into without permission. Once we got to his office he knocked on the familiar tall office doors and then we stepped in.
     "Sit," Alpha said and I quickly sat in one of the chairs in front of him.
     "I will be hosting this month's full moon party. I will have different packs from around the area come to celebrate with us. You will be in charge of making sure all the food is prepared for the three days they are here. Make sure all the girls behave and are trained to greet guests. If I have even one complaint from anyone it will not end well for any of you understood?" He said and I nodded.
     "Go," He returned his gaze down to his desk.
     Beta Alfred grabbed my arm and guided me back to my room. If you want to call it a room. He shoved me inside and slammed the door behind me.
     "You will stay here for the rest of the day," I heard his voice say right before the door shut.
I can't believe the Alpha was putting me in charge of everything. I never knew what I did for him to hate me so much. It could be because he is old. When I first met him he seemed like a nice, kind person. Now he is just a grumpy, stressed out old Alpha.
     I have the weight of this very important event on my shoulders and I didn't know how I was going to do it. It was going to be stressful and I had to make sure everything was perfect. I don't want him to take out his anger on any of the girls because of my mistakes.
Why was he making me stay in for the rest of the day? Was it a punishment? Last time I was here alone all day I had a panic attack. I came up with some ideas for the party, but none of them felt right. Occasionally, I would get up to splash some water on my face and then I would lay down on my mattress again.
     I held my head tightly in my hands as a flood of pain hit me. My birthday was next week so I believe this might be my wolf coming in. I remember hearing somewhere that you hear your wolf's voice inside your head a couple of days before you turn eighteen and gain your form. I was getting these headaches more often and they began to feel stronger.
     "Dear Evangeline, please repair what has been hurt, let my power go and fill the wound with glow, bring back before it's lost, before it's gone," I sang quietly and the headache slowly went away.
     I sang that song every time I was feeling overwhelmed or scared so it can remind me of my parents. It was helping these headaches of mine go away faster which I appreciated. I pulled out the necklace from under my shirt and admired the ring that hung from it.
     I am so glad they never saw the necklace or they would've taken it away from me. All these years it was the only thing that brought me comfort and joy. The door swung open which made me shove the necklace back under and sit up. Skylar walked in and relief flashed over her face when she spotted me.
     "I'm sorry! Did he hear what we were talking about?"
She sat next to me on my mattress with a concerned look on her face.
     "I don't know. They called me in to tell me something else," I ran my hand through my hair out of frustration.
     "What was it? Are you okay?" She questioned.
     "Alpha Roy is hosting this month's full moon party and he put me in charge of all of you girls and the food for the entire time the guests are here," I breathed out. "He also said if he gets one complaint from anyone it will not end well for us,"
     "Wait, are you talking about the party that is happening next week?" My eyes went wide and I stood up.
     "You're telling me I only have a week to prepare everything?" I started pacing back and forth in the tiny room.
     "Don't worry we will help you. You are not alone,"
I couldn't process the words she was saying I felt like I was having another panic attack.
     "Hey, Rose? It's okay I'm here for you. Relax," Her soothing voice said.
Eventually, I calmed down and sat down next to her again.
     "Thank you so much, I don't want anyone getting hurt because of my mistakes," I frowned and she shook her head.
     "None of this is your fault. Don't blame yourself," She placed her hand on my face.
     "You are the best you know that right?" She pulled away and laughed.
     "Of course! and so are you. Which is why this is going to be perfectly okay?" She reassured me and I nodded.
     "Lets go over some ideas so we can fill in the girls tomorrow okay?" She nodded her head.
After a while of bouncing ideas back and forth we sat in silence. Anything that we came up with didn't seem like it was good enough for the event.
     "Let's just take a break. We can go over all of this with the girls tomorrow,"
     "Okay, either way it's already getting late," I groaned and rubbed my temples.
     "I can't believe I spent the whole day in here again. I can't take it anymore"
She got up and headed over to her mattress. I laid back on mine and slowly let myself drift off to sleep.