Chapter 46

Jade's P.O.V.

*Day before ceremony*

I opened the door slowly. I winced with every creak the floor and door made. I tipped toed in all the way and stood next to her bed. I reached out and yanked the blankets off of her.
"Happy birthday!" I yelled. Skylar sat up quickly and looked around.
"Why would you do that? You almost gave me a heart attack!"She clutched her shirt and I tackled her.
"Happy birthday! I had to wake you up to get the festivities started!" I stood up and she looked at me confused.
"What festivities?"
"You think I forgot to plan out your birthday? Get up and get ready! Your special birthday breakfast is waiting for you" It took me a couple of minutes to get her off. After she finally got ready we headed down to the dining room.
"Surprise!" everyone jumped out and she stepped back, getting scared once again. Caden, Lance, Ayden, and all the girls were here.
"We wanted to surprise you in your room but Jade said you wouldn't like that so we did the next best thing," Caden explained as he hugged her.
"This is amazing! Thank you, everyone!" She exclaimed.
We all enjoyed breakfast together. As soon as we were done I stood up and Skylar looked at me weirdly.
"It's time for your next surprise." I stood her up and she looked back.
"What about everyone else?"
"They got it covered. I asked the boys to clean up and take the girls to class." I led her out of the packhouse and into the forest.
"What are you doing to me?" She asked and I stopped her in the middle of a small open field.
"I am going to help you let your wolf out." I know how bad she has been wanting to do this. She feels left out and now she will finally be able to do it.
"Have you heard her already?"
"Yes, her name is Lucy,"
"Okay, It's going to hurt, but I know you are strong you can do this. Lance said some people get it on the first try."
She closed her eyes and focused. I could hear her heart racing. She sighed and opened her eyes.
"This is not as easy as I thought." she laughed and I nodded.
"You got this. No rush"
She closed her eyes again and after a few minutes, I heard a crack. She jumped up and her wolf came out.
"I told you! I knew you were strong enough to do it easily" I said. Her wolf was light brown and around the same size as me. I shifted into mine and went up to her.
"I told you that we would get out of that place. This is our life now. No more locked rooms, no more beatings. We are free. We have all this free space to run and be ourselves. Happy birthday, Skylar, I hope you know I love you as a little sister and I want you to be happy. Soon you will find your mate and you will have your own family. Never forget you can count on me for anything,"
Her eyes got watery. She stood next to me and laid her head on my side. She took off running and I went after her. We ran beside the river and through the trees. Once we both got tired we found a space beside a big tree and sat down.
"Thank you, Jade, for everything you have done. This is the best birthday ever."
"And the day just started. Come on"
I stood up and walked over to where I told Ayden to meet us. He handed me a dress and I shifted out quickly changing. He handed me Skylar's outfit and turned around. I walked over to her and she laid down.
"Don't worry no one is watching. I will help you change quickly."
She shifted out and I gave her the dress.
"Are you ready ladies?" Ayden asked and we walked in front of him.
"Okay, let's go back to the packhouse they are waiting for us,"
"They?" Skylar questioned and I nodded. I grabbed her hand and led her back into the dining room. Everyone was there again but this time it was decorated with balloons, streamers, and banners.
"Surprise again!" Caden yelled and she laughed.
"This looks amazing! You didn't have to do all of this"
"Of course! You are family now," Lance said and she clapped. "Here I got you something."
"No, I can't accept it."
"I won't let you decline a gift," He said and she smiled. She spent the next few minutes opening gifts from everyone. I saw Caden playing with his fingers on the side and I sat next to him.
"Why do you look so nervous?" I asked
"I got her something. I am scared she won't like it,"
"Skylar would love and appreciate if you got her even just a pickle," He smirked and looked down at a box in his hands.
"You love her"
"What? no,"
"Admit it. Tell her."
"It's not that easy,"
"If you're scared of rejection I can tell you there is nothing to be worried about. She is crazy about you. She talks about you all the time."
"There was someone before. Someone I thought was my soulmate. I was in love with her. The full moon after her eighteenth birthday she mated someone else. She left and never returned. I vowed to never love until I found my mate."
I felt a tear escape my eye and I wiped it before he saw it. I looked up to see Ayden staring at us and I waved him off.
"I am so sorry that happened to you, Caden. I can't imagine the pain you went through. I truly believe you and Skylar are mates, but I understand how you feel and I won't push anything."
He looked up at her and she was opening up a gift from charlotte.
"She is perfect. I can't imagine my life without her. She makes me crazy."
"I am rooting for you two. Just know if you hurt her I will kill you," He laughed and looked at me.
"Thank you, it means a lot and I would rather die than ever treat her bad,"
"Well go and give her your gift!"
I playfully slapped his arm and he let a breath out. He nodded and stood up. I sat next to Ayden and watched as Caden nervously waited for Charlotte to stop talking to Skylar.
"What was all that about?" Ayden asked.
"Just offering some advice. Friend to friend."
Caden handed the box over to Skylar and gave her a kiss on the cheek.
"Wow, whatever you said worked. He has been talking about her since she arrived. He finally made his move,"
She opened the box and took out a shiny necklace. She gasped and stood up to hug him. She turned around as he put it on her. They hugged again and sat down.
"That reminds me. Does the necklace you wear have a special meaning?" I looked up at him and he smiled.
"You didn't think I would notice it? Why do you hide it?"
"When I first arrived at the other pack they didn't notice it and never found out about it. I kept it hidden and I guess it's just a habit now. As for the meaning? My mother gave it to me right before they died,"
I laid my head on his shoulder and he kissed it.
"Don't worry about losing it here. We will get you a safe box to keep it in,"