Chapter 28

Jade's Pov

"Okay so the first floor, contains the dining room, storage rooms, and a few guest rooms. This is open to anyone who would like to come and visit, but no one gets past the guards by the stairs." Lance explained as we headed back towards the stairs. The guards moved so we can pass through and we went up. 
"You girls are familiar with Ayden's office on the far left. Also, obviously, your rooms are on the far right." Caden pointed. "Well, room. We had set up two rooms but you only used one" I sent him a sheepish smile and he laughed.
"There are some extra guest rooms in between, but right now your side of the hallway is off-limits." He continued. We walked by a bunch of paintings and pictures of large groups.
"What are all these pictures?" Skylar asked.
"Those are yearly photos of our warriors. It goes back for decades." Lance said. He was right. The more you look at the pictures down the hallway, the older they look. They were all doing intimidating poses in all the photos. As the years went by they did more casual posing, more smiling.
"That's us right there" Lance pointed at one of the pictures. There were three boys on the side trying to be intimidating like the rest of the group.
"How old were you there?" I asked.
"Hmm, around six years old." Caden smiled.
"Who are they?" Skylar asked, pointing at the three men behind the boys.
"Those were our fathers," Lance said in a serious tone. All three were spitting images of their father. It was crazy.
"You guys look so much like your dads" Skylar smiled. 
"We get that a lot. From everyone" Caden shrugged.
"Can I ask how they died?" She asked.
"That's a story for another day. Let's continue the tour" Lance dismissed the question and turned around. I quickly looked at the rest of the pictures and made a mental note to come to look at them later again.
"What are all these guest rooms for?" I asked.
"For when we invite people from the other packs. That's why we have so many" Caden said over his shoulder.
"How do you decide who goes on what floor?"
"Between us? We put the most important ones on the top floor then we descend from there" Lance laughed. We headed towards the stairs and passed two more guards.
"This third floor contains only guest bedrooms there is no need to walk through these hallways," Caden mumbled at the end of the sentence.
"Well technically, the third and fourth floor are full of guest bedrooms and storage rooms." Lance shrugged. We skipped those and headed up to the fifth floor. As soon as we took the last step I groaned.
"How did I not notice that there were so many floors?" I asked trying to catch my breath.
"Maybe you were a bit distracted" Caden smirked and I rolled my eyes.
"So this fifth floor has some conference rooms and offices. It's also where Caden and I's rooms are" Lance said and Skylar looked up at them.
"You guys live all the way up here and head down to our room every day?" She asked.
"It's on the way to the dining room" Caden shrugged.
"How come we don't live up here? Away from girls who try to break into our rooms," I said and crossed my arms.
"Ayden wanted to put you on a higher floor but didn't want to be intimidating to you," Lance replied. We stopped by the stairs on the sixth floor but there were no more guards.
"How come these don't have guards?" I asked.
"That's the Alpha floor." Caden looked up.
"What is up there?" Skylar asked.
"Ayden's private office, his parent's room, and Ayden's room. Which I'm sure you know of right Jade?" Caden winked at me and I laughed.
"Again, I was too distracted to see how far high up his room was" I felt my cheeks burn up and I looked away.
"The reason these don't have guards is that everyone knows not to go there. They can't pass to the fifth floor without access. Only warriors and the council can get all the way up here. They know not to even step near the stairs or Ayden will get enraged." Lance explained. We walked into a conference room and sat on the chairs.
"This is where Ayden has important council meetings?" Skylar asked as she was spinning around on the chair and I laughed.
"Yes, this is where all the important decisions"Caden laughed.
"He is on his way already we should-" Someone came in and stopped talking as soon as they spotted us. They were tall and muscular. Almost scary looking. "Sorry to interrupt but we are having an emergency council meeting."
"About what?" Lance asked and stood up. The second man stared at me and didn't say anything. I laid back on the chair and looked at Caden. The first man motioned to Skylar and I and Lance waved it off.
"Don't worry about it they are with us" Lance reassured.
"I don't think Alpha Ayden will be comfortable knowing I shared confidential information. He is on his way and I don't want him to get upset."
Now all of us were up in a second and Skylar stood beside me. I kept my eye on the second man who kept his eyes on her.
"Okay girls time to go," Caden said and walked toward us.
"Actually why don't you introduce us, Gamma Caden?" The second man spoke up.
"There is no time. We actually have to go" He replied.
"We have a few minutes before everyone else joins us. Why don't you let me meet the pretty ladies?"  He pushed.
"Jack, he said there is no time," Lance said in a low voice.
"I guess it'll have to wait until after the meeting" He winked at Skylar and I felt my fists ball up. Someone else walked in and looked at everyone around the room.
"I heard there was an emergency meeting?" He asked and Lance nodded.
"Caden get the girls out of here. I'll update you in a bit" Lance's voice rang through my head. Caden got us out of the room just as more people were walking in. Christina came up the stairs and smirked when she saw us walking out.
"Aww, do the news pups not get to join the adults in the meeting?" She teased and the two girls behind her laughed.
"Yeah no, I don't have the patience for this right now" Caden mumbled and pushed passed her.
We followed behind him and I froze when I smelled his familiar intoxicating smell. Ayden turned the corner and stopped walking when he saw us. He was tugging his shirt over his head and I got a peek at his toned stomach. His hair was a mess and he had some blood on his hands. He began walking toward us but his eyes wouldn't meet mine. My breath hitched when he got close to us and I can feel my heart pounding out of my chest. His eyes went foggy for a second and then walked past us. I let go of the breath I was holding in and turned to look at Caden.
"Wow, the tension is intense" he joked.
"What did he say to you?" I asked. He shrugged and walked down the stairs.
"Whatever do you mean?"
"You know what I mean. I saw his eyes. He linked you what did he say?" I asked again.
"Don't worry about it, darling. He was commenting on me being too close to you."
"That's not what he really said." I crossed my arms and stopped walking. "Tell me the truth."
"How about we get to your room first and then I tell you?" He turned around and I sighed. We continued walking until we finally got to our room.
"Okay, tell me now," I said as soon as I shut the door.
"I already forgot" Caden shrugged and flopped onto our couch. Skylar quietly sat down on the bed and looked at us.
"Caden! You said you were going to tell me when we got to my room!" I ran my hand through my hair out of frustration.
"Why do you want to know so bad?" He asked.
"I want to know if he is okay. He left for hours and now there is an emergency meeting. Did you see the blood on his hands?" I sat down on the other couch and laid my head back.
"Jade, there is no need to worry. Ayden is a big boy he can take care of himself." He joked.
"Caden I need you to tell me what he said" I tried using my best intimidating voice but it was no use. I had this bad feeling in my stomach that I couldn't shake off and I knew it was related to whatever that meeting is about.
"Sorry Jade no can do" He rested his arm over his eyes to cover them from the light and I groaned.
"Caden, as your Luna I command you to tell me what he said." I stood up and he didn't flinch.
"Wow, so much for not using the Luna card" Skylar laughed. I laid down on the couch and tried to figure out a different way to make him tell me.
"Don't worry, once you become Luna you will be kept in the loop. " He mumbled and I rolled my eyes.
"Once I become Luna I might just strip you from the Gamma title" I joked.
"Oh please do. Then I won't be stuck taking care of you" He laughed.
"Caden take your feet off the couch your getting mud on it," Skylar said. She hit his feet and he moved them quickly.
"Looks like I found our new Gamma. She can take care of you when you get older and can't move fast" I laughed.
"How old are you?" Skylar asked him.
"I'm twenty-three and for your information, I will not get slower," He remarked.
"Do you think once Jade gets her wolf you can race?" Skylar asked and his head peaked up.
"Uhm, why are you signing me up for things before asking?" I questioned her.
"Please, you wouldn't stand a chance." He scoffed.
"How about we make it a bet?" She asked.
"I'm listening." He sat up and she sat next to him.
"If she wins we get to dress you up for five days," Skylar said and I laughed.
"I saw the perfect dress in the mall that would totally fit you," I said sitting up as well.
"There is no way in hell that is happening." He laughed. "What do I get if I win?"
"What do you want?" Skylar asked.
"Threesome." He said and we stayed quiet.
"Is he being serious?" Sara asked.
"Kidding! Obviously, I want Jade to do me a favor and help me ask Ayden for help on a project I have been thinking about"
"What kind of project?"I asked.
"A secret project. I just need your help convincing him. Work your mate heat magic. It's a project he never thought was a good idea." He shrugged.
"Okay deal," I said and smiled at him.
"I can't wait to get this project going finally!" He clapped and we laughed.
"How are you so sure you're going to win? What if she is faster?" Skylar teased.
"No, it's impossible. This is why this bet is full-proof. It gives me hope to open up this project back up and have a little fun beating you in a race." He pointed at me.
"Don't get cocky Caden." Skylar laughed.
"It's what the ladies like" He shrugged and I rolled my eyes.
"Alright, well we have to wait for Ayden while they are done with the meeting so what do you want to do?" He asked us.
"How about you tell us your training routine?" Skylar asked.
"Nope. I don't want you to sabotage anything before the big race." He smirked.
"This just gets me more determined to beat you. It will give me more satisfaction when I do" I laughed and he shook his head.
"You can't even shift. I wonder how slow you'll be when you finally do" He mocked.
"She might be the fastest runner you've ever seen" Skylar looked at me and smiled.
"Ayden is the fastest I have ever seen. He is so fast I've lost him in the woods before" Caden laughed.
"Hmm, maybe after Jade beats you we can challenge him" Skylar joked and my mouth fell into gape.
"Skylar! Stop it with the bets! Let me be able to shift first" I laughed.
"Another thing, Let's not tell Ayden about this. He will kill me for going against his mate, our luna, and making you think you have to work hard to beat me for my favors" Caden said and we nodded.
"Don't worry this secret is between us" I smiled and he nodded.