Chapter 21

Jade's Pov

    He led us over to the salon they had outside the packhouse.
   "Alpha Ayden!" One said and they bowed.
    "To what do we owe this pleasure?" They asked. There were two older ladies cleaning the place.
   "If it's not too late I would love to get a haircut" He smiled and their face lit up.
   "Of course, it's not too late! Go ahead and take a seat" One of them grabbed his arm and he let go of my hand. I frowned and stood there awkwardly.
   "Sweetheart come sit." The other lady led me to the waiting area.
    "So, Alpha Ayden, who is this gorgeous lady you have with you? Are those your real eyes?" The one that is working on his hair asked.
    "Gloria, don't be rude" The lady beside me laughed.
    "Oh no, it's okay. Yes, these are my real yes" I smiled and they looked at me.
   "You know we just met, but I feel like you're such an amazing young lady," the lady beside me smiled.
    "April, you're being so straight up" Gloria laughed.
   "I'm sorry it's true you are as cute as a button" April pinched my cheek and I laughed nervously.
    "Okay, ladies, please. Don't coddle her too much" Ayden laughed.
    "Thank you for finally letting us do your hair Ayden. How would you like it?" Gloria asked and he looked at the mirror.
   "Short on the sides and trim on the top," He said and she nodded.
    "So what are you two doing out so late?" April asked.
   "I was showing Jade around. She is new to the pack" Ayden replied.
    "Oh! Welcome! Is this our possible new Luna?" Gloria asked and I froze.
   "Please don't talk about a New Luna. The topic is still sensitive" He said and they nodded.
    "I'm sorry. We also miss your mother. We know the news is still fresh. She was always here with-"
   "Enough!" Ayden growled and they bowed their heads to him. He sighed and turned the chair to look at us. "I'm sorry. Can we not talk about my mother?"
   They nodded and Gloria continued to cut his hair.
    "So do you ladies cut everyone's hair in the pack?" I asked trying to change the conversation.
   "No we have two more workers, but they left early" April smiled at me.
    "Jade right?" Gloria asked and I nodded.
   "What was it of our amazing Alpha that caught your attention?" She asked and I smiled.
    "Everything about him is perfect" I smiled. "Whoa, didn't mean to sound cheesy."
    "Don't worry. That's how it is with young love" April smiled at us.
     "What do you think of this?" Gloria stepped aside and revealed Ayden's new haircut. I stared at him in awe. It's crazy how big of a difference a haircut can do.
    "I'm good at this aren't I?" Gloria asked and all I can do is smile.
   "look at her so in love" April clapped and I blushed.
    "Thank you very much Gloria and sorry again for coming in so late" Ayden stood up. He pulled out his wallet and took out a couple of bills and I sheepishly looked away.
    "Oh no Alpha it's fine don't worry about it" April stood up.
   "No please, Let me give you something for the trouble" He pushed and I stood up.
     "Thank you Alpha Ayden" She smiled and took the money.
    "Well, if you'll excuse us we must be going now" Ayden walked over to me and grabbed my hand.
   "It was nice meeting you ladies. I hope to see you soon" I smiled at them.
    "You too Jade. We'll be seeing you around" April said and they smiled at us. We walked out of the salon and down a familiar path.
    "Does it look weird?" He asked nervously.
     "No, you look handsome" I smiled. Silence fell again only the cicadas being heard around us.
   "Where are we going?" I asked and he smiled over his shoulder.
    "Picnic in the garden," He said and I looked at him confused.
    I looked over to where he was pointing and I gasped. It was the same garden as last time, but this time there was a picnic blanket with some food and candles. We walked over to the blanket and he sat us down.
   "When did you do this?" I asked and looked around. The way the moonlight reflected on the garden around us was mesmerizing.
    "While you were getting ready. I had Caden and Lance help me set it all up. To be honest I don't know how to do any of this" He scratched the back of his neck and I laughed.
    "It's amazing. Don't worry about it" I kissed his cheek and then sat back down. He opened up a basket in front of us and took out some fruit and snacks.
    "Can I ask you something? I hope it's not weird" I said and he nodded.
     "When does the marking happen?" He choked on a piece of strawberry and then cleared his throat.
    "Are you okay?" I asked and he nodded again.
   "Why do you want to know?" He questioned and I shrugged.
     "Sara told me that once two fated mates meet they move on to mark each other. She also said it was intimate" I said and he played with the rings on his fingers.
   "It's not as intimate as you might think it is. It could be a little painful" He shrugged and I frowned. "We could make it intimate,"
   "Do you want to do it?" He looked at me in shock.
   "Are you ready to do it?" I looked down and sighed.
    "If it's something that we have to do then don't you think we should?' I looked up at him and he was looking at me with so much desire in his eyes.
   "I don't want to do it if you feel obligated" He replied.
    "It's all still new to me. Can we talk about something else?" He nodded and handed me the strawberries.
    "Is there any update on getting the girls out of Alpha Roy's pack?" His body got tense and I immediately regret asking. 
   "Yes, I have an update. I told Dr. Bour to gather all the information that we have gotten with your tests. We will use them as proof. There is only one thing I am worried about."
     "What is it?"
    "I don't know if I will be able to get them all into my pack"
     "But it's only fifteen girls. They only know each other they can't be shipped off to another pack."
    "They don't think I can handle taking care of all the girls. I already have so much on my plate and they can use that against me."
     "So we can only take some of them?" I felt my eyes tear up and he pulled me into a hug.
     "Don't worry. I am not going to risk anything. I won't go to the Alphas unless I have a full-proof plan so I can get them all." He rubbed circles on my back to try to calm me down, but it wasn't working.
    "I don't want them in there anymore. I don't know what they could be doing to them and it worries me." I said and he kissed my head.
    "Don't worry. I'll make sure we get every single one and Alpha Roy pays for his crimes." I looked up at him and our lips were only centimeters away. I connected our lips and they moved in sync. He pulled me onto his lap and I straddled his waist. I reached for his hair and remembered it was shorter than before. He placed his hands on my thighs and squeezed. I pulled away to catch my breath and rested our foreheads together.
   "Where do I mark you?" I asked between breaths.
   "Not yet love" He pecked my lips.
    "But if you were to do it where would you mark me?" I looked up to meet his eyes and he smiled. He trailed kisses down my neck as if he was looking for something. Once his lips hit the perfect spot a moan escaped my mouth.
   "Right there" His hot breath whispered sending chills throughout my body.
    "Do it now" I pulled his collar and he kissed the spot again.
   "Not yet. No rush" He brought his eyes back to mine again and smiled. Every time he smiles at me it makes me feel weak in the knees. I connected our lips again and rolled my hips against the bulge that was poking my bottom. He moaned and grabbed my hips. I kissed his neck just like he did mine to look for the spot. Once I found it he let out a low moan.
    "Found it" I laughed and I kissed it again. I looked up at him and he was smiling at me.
   "So do we just kiss it until it marks?" I asked and he shook his head.
    "You have to bite it. With your canine teeth," He replied and I looked at him confused.
   "How do I get that?" I asked
    "Once you learn how to shift you can control other things like this" He smiled and revealed long canines teeth from his mouth. "or these" He raised his hand that was hairy with claws that quickly turned back into his human hand.
    "Will you teach me?" I asked
    "Of course I will. One step at a time." He kissed my cheek and I nodded.
     "You want to head back already?" I shook my head and laid it on his chest. I hugged his torso and he kept his arms around my waist for support. The sound of his heart was so soothing. We stayed there in comfortable silence for a long time. I felt his grip tighten and his body move. I looked up at him confused and he was staring into the distance.
   "Is something wrong?" I asked him.
    "Nothing to worry about" He kissed my head and his face went hard again.
   "Do you want to head back? I know this might be hard for you. I know how much it hurts to lose your parents" I said and his body stiffened. He let out a small growl and I tried to push away from him, but his grip was tight around me.
     "Ayden? Your grip is getting tight" I said and he didn't move."Ayden please"
    He let me go and looked down concerned. I climbed off his lap and quickly stood up.
    "Can you walk me back in? I'm feeling tired already." He stood up without saying a word and I crossed my arms.
   "Do you need me to help with the clean-up?"
     "I'll have Caden pick it up later"
    I nodded and turned around. I began my way back to the packhouse with his heavy footsteps following behind me.
    "What do you think is wrong with him?" I asked Sara
   "I can't communicate with his wolf until you mark each other"
     "You're telling me that you will be able to communicate with him if we mark each other? Even if we don't shift?"
    "Yes. Think of it as your souls talking to each other"
    "That sounds weird."
   "Scratch that, but yes I can talk to him"

    "He said the marking process is painful. I mean how painful do you think it is?"
    "He has Alpha Canines. The strongest, most durable teeth out there. They can break through the skin easily.'
    "Gee, thanks want to make it sound scarier?"

    "Jade!" I heard a voice call out bringing me out of my thoughts. I felt a hand grab my arm and I looked up.
    "I was calling out for you. You could've fallen into the hole" Ayden said and I looked down. I have headed towards a giant hole away from the packhouse.
    "How did I get over here?"
    "You started walking the opposite way and I was calling your name. Are you okay?" He asked and I nodded. He grabbed my hand and led us back to the packhouse.