Prodigy

Skiá pov

I get up and to work extra early to get my stuff out of my locker before the interns get there. After that I stand at the counter and tune in my hearing so I can hear what they say about me.

"I heard that our resident is only seven years old."

"He must be some sort of prodigy." I hear from the peds locker room. Then I switched to the surgical locker room.

"I hope he goes easy on us."

"He is a kid how hard on us can he be?" I smirk at that. Deciding that I will make him regret those words.

Soon they all pile out and I see my other residents coming from a different direction. I lean against the counter as I watch them look at each other in confusion. "As I am sure you have all noticed not all of you are from the same specialty. I fall under three specialties, so I get interns from them all. This means you will get experience in all of my fields so perhaps you may want to change by the end of your time with me. Now as I have multiple specialties here I must remind you, if you mock or belittle others for being in a different specialty you will be removed from my group. Got it?"

"Yes doctor." They all chorus.

"Good, let's move on. Grab your pagers, you will answer any page you get at a run, some things can be dangerous if you take too long. Your first shift starts now and lasts for 36 hours. You are at the bottom of the medical pyramid so you will be running labs and putting in orders. If you need help with something page me and if I am unavailable you may ask one of the other on call residents, but do not wake them up if they are asleep. Sleep when you can, where you can. If I am asleep and you need something feel free to wake me up."

I am cut off by a page. "Now when I move you move." I say before seeing that it is from PEDs.

We spend the first few hours bouncing in between areas before I am paged to the ER. "Congratulations, your first day on the job and you get to go to the pit." I am the first to arrive and am told there was a multi car pileup. I get outside and end up with a woman whose arm was lost in the crash who is also pregnant. "Alright let's get going."

First thing I do is check the wound. It looks like a clean and neat cut, so I recover it and get her inside. One of the nurses clean the wound while I check on the baby. The baby is doing fine but the mother is having some contractions. Her arm gets looked at and it seems like it will be an easy feat fix it if we can find the arm. I start IV antibiotics and fluids before having the interns take some blood work to the labs.

We find the arm and it is in good enough condition for it to be attached, so I scrub in for surgery with dr. Sloan to monitor the baby.

She starts having contractions two minutes apart and her water breaks, so I jump into action. I tell my interns that are in the gallery to page peds to get a warmer and check on the progress of the baby. The baby is already crowning, so it is quick work to get the baby out and into the warmer that thankfully arrived in time.

The mother gets her arm reattached and the baby is doing well, so altogether I had a rather good day and I like to think my interns did as well.