Chapter 38:

***Draco's POV***

I waited a week. It was long enough for Voldemort to stop watching me as closely and it wasn't really long for Jen. I wanted Jen in that cell for as short of time as possible but I also didn't want to jump in to save her and get us both killed. Throughout the week I've been observing how they work the prison downstairs. They feed the prisoners every morning at about seven in the morning and sometimes feed them at night. Voldemort gives everyone some sort of job to do and I've been working down in the prison, making it easier for me to observe how it works. I learned there was a cabinet guarded by a deatheater that held all the keys to the cells and at night there's only one guard stationed in the whole prison.

It would have been easy for me to get down here and get her out but of course there would be something different about her cell. Out of all the prisoners she had to be different. I should have realized that. Voldemort really wants Jen on his side and after her trying to escape (I had heard deatheaters talking about it) he wasn't going to take any chances.

The key to Jen's cell is around Voldemort's neck.

I'm glad though that I noticed before I tried to break her out. I first noticed that Voldemort was wearing a necklace and I started to ask around and it turns out that it's the key to Jen's cell. So I've been watching Voldemort closer, seeing if he ever takes off the necklace or gives it to anyone. So far he's always wearing it and the only person that he would give it to is Gregory, the person responsible for bringing Jen into this mess. So I've come up with a plan. It was reckless but it was the only one I got. Plus I didn't know when Voldemort's patience will run out, which admittedly is like a desert running out of water, and when that happens he's going to kill Jen. And I don't want Jen anywhere near here when it does happen.

So tonight is when I'll strike.

*****

I paced my room as I waited for midnight. I had all that I needed, I just had to wait. My heart was throbbing in my chest, my hands were sweating and I couldn't stop fidgeting. I tried to reassure myself, the worse I can do is get us killed. I rolled my eyes at my own stupid thoughts, that's very reassuring. I ran my hands through my hair, and looked at the clock again. Midnight. I took a deep breath and walked out of my room they had assigned me when I had first arrived. I walked down the dark hallway, the only noise being the thumping of my heart. Once I was at the door I was looking for, I slowly opened it. It didn't make a sound as it opened. I walked in and closed the door behind me. I saw Gregory sprawled on his bed and an empty glass on his nightstand. I was the one who had left him the glass of water and I had spiked it was a sleeping drought. He should be asleep for a good sixteen to twenty-four hours.

I walked over to his bed and pulled a hair out of his head and put it in the polyjuice potion I had. I had stolen the polyjuice potion from Snape's potion cabinet before I figured out where Jen was. I had been going through Snape's stuff, hoping to figure out where the deatheaters could be hiding but all I found was a bunch of potions. I didn't think out this plan at the time but I had taken the potion anyway, in case of emergencies. I was glad I did, this plan wouldn't be in motion without this potion. I quickly changed into the clothes Gregory had carelessly thrown on the floor and put my clothes in a bag. I took a deep breath and chugged down the potion.

Immediately, my insides started writhing as though I'd just swallowed live snakes. I doubled over, and wondered whether I was going to be sick then a burning sensation spread rapidly from my stomach to the very ends of my fingers and toes, bringing me gasping on all fours. Then came a horrible melting feeling, as the skin all over my body bubbled like hot wax. I looked down and watched as my hands began to grow, my fingers thickened, my knuckles were bulging like bolts, my shoulders stretched painfully and a prickling on my forehead and cheeks told me that my hair was creeping down toward my eyebrows and growing on my face. My chest expanded and for a second I was glad that I had changed into Gregory's clothes before I took the potion. Then the pain stopped and I took a deep breath and dared a glance in the mirror.