Chapter Twenty

Just a little heads up. This chapter will have you feeling quite a couple of emotions. So be prepared...

I stare at Matthew in blistering surprise, a lopsided grin overtaking his mysterious features as he looks at me equally as intensely. His dark eyes feel like it is burrowing into my very soul and this makes me feel vulnerable.

There are very few people that have ever made me feel this vulnerable. First Logan, then Emile and now his brother Matthew.

"What?" I hollow, the words barely escaping my throat unto my lips. I am in shock.

"You heard me." He says firmly, his black eyes still piercing into mine. He is serious. Dead serious.

"B-but why?" I ask in disbelief as my forehead creases, my eyebrows narrowing and my mouth literally hanging open. I am at a cross between a bundle of nerves and motionless.

"Why not? Nothing goes for nothing you know." He sighs, his left hand knitting through his slick black hair in an instant, pushing it backward in the process. "You want something and I want something too."

"Why do I feel like you have some sort of an ulterior motive?" I question him. Matthew is trying to play a game here. I can sense it.

"Don't we all?" He raises an eyebrow at me, a coy smile appearing on his lips again. I don't think I can put into words how much I want to punch him right now. "Don't play innocent Lorena. Also, stop wasting my time. If you don't accept my term then leave. Don't stand there and stare at me with those puppy dog eyes of yours thinking I'll pity you and fall. Max and I are brothers for a reason." He leans into me and places his mouth against my ear, his voice husky as he whispers "Women don't faze us or else we want them to."

He moves away from me swiftly and gives me another cocky smile.

"I'm your brother's wife." I mutter.

"So?" He raises another eyebrow at me and I gasp.

"So?" I exhale at his directness, my hands flailing as tension rises up within me "Are you seriously asking me that?"

"Well, I'm not asking anyone else that's for sure." He shrugs "Do you want to know the piece of information I have on your father or not?" He asks impatient, his expression bored "Because you are seriously wasting my time right now."

Matthew says this primly and my thoughts scatter. He wants a kiss. A kiss! Okay, yeah technically we have locked lips before but that situation was very different because I was in heat.

Kissing Matthew now would be a conscious decision on my part. It's something I would agree to. I know I want to find out about my father but is it worth it to sell my lips for info?

Then again, everyone is acting all secretive like they're all in some kind of cult or secret society or something and it's pissing me off. Even my father won't tell me. My mate won't either and prefers to play juror.

I don't know what I was expecting when I came here. Although a part of me knew a price would be paid but I let naivete guide me anyway and now I'm here, staring into the dark eyes of someone I'm starting to liken to the devil and trying to give myself reasons not to sell my lips to him.

Unfortunately, I fail to come up with any one that outweighs my need to know the truth even if it's just a small piece of it.

"Fine. I'll kiss you." I say through gritted teeth, my palm suddenly sweaty.

Matthew lets out a mocking laughter, his features tightening together as he throws his head backward, his black hair falling around his face and framing it.