Chapter Twenty-Eight

Olivia's hands remain clasped over her mouth in shock as her knees wobble. Her green eyes trail from me to Matthew and then back to me.

I stand up instantly, the necklace escaping my mind immediately as my eyes hold Olivia's. I feel Matthew stand up beside me.

"Olivia, it's not what you think!" I say quickly, my hands pushing the hood of my hoodie over my head again.

Olivia lowers her hands from her mouth and raises it to me, her hand outstretched at me in a way to say 'No, I don't want to hear it'.

"M-Matthew-" Olivia stutters, moving her eyes away from me "Max wants to see you."

With that, Olivia takes daunting steps backwards and turns around then stalks out of the room.

I look over to Matthew who seems unfazed by all that just happened and after pushing him out of the way, I rush after Olivia. I call after her but she just ignores me and after I bang the door in Matthew's face as I rush out, I chase after Olivia.

Olivia is fast on her feet so when she reaches for her room door, I manage to get inside before she closes it right in my face.

"I'm sorry I interrupted you and Matt, Rena!" Her words come out spiteful as I push myself into her room "Please by all means, you can go back and continue whatever it is you two were doing before I interrupted."

"Olivia please it's not what you think!" I tell her as I close her bedroom door while she enters deeper into her room. Her hand pushes through her hair in annoyance and then she turns towards me, the smile on her face irritated.

"You're such a hypocrite." She says coldly "Giving me beef over your brother when he was mated to my twin and here you are, in bed with your mate's brother."

She laughs. A taunting laugh that tugs tightly at my chest. The guilt within me grows and I stare at her barely able to keep my head up.

"I'm not having an affair with Matthew, Olivia."

"Didn't look like it from what I saw." She scoffs, green eyes reprimanding "You were in his bed, Lorena. Please humour me by telling me how you ended up there? Heavens, what were you doing in his room to begin with?"

"It's a long story but I can assure you that I'm not sleeping with Matthew, Olivia!" I insist, my eyes begging her to believe me. To understand me.

"Look. I don't know what delusions Matt is filling your head with Rena but take it from me, staying away from him is your safest bet here especially considering that you're his elder brother's mate. Shit Rena! You're Max's mate."

"Olivia, it's not what you think." I remain pleading with her, my guilt tensing me up.

"I smelt you on Matt once. I brushed it off. So I reckon you two have been seeing each other for quite a while!" Olivia concludes, taking a seat on her bed.

"We aren't seeing each other!" I insist with a slight scream, my voice raising to an octave.

"Tell that to your mate." She says vindictively and I'm left wondering if she's going to rat me out or not "Or should I say husband."

"Please don't tell Max, Olivia. Please I beg you!" I plead, my shaky fingers coming together in remorse.

"As much as I would like to send a bitch like you to hell for ruining my life, I have problems on my hands. My love life sucks and my mate and I don't even speak so that's the only reason I can't bring myself to ruin someone else's mate bond." She says slowly, the hatred for me in her green eyes still glowing "I won't tell him but it goes without saying that you should stay away from Matthew."